Better tone when effects loop is engaged?...................

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarGuy503

Reaction score
I read somewhere that the tone of an amp is best when the effects loop is engaged. Having said that can anyone verify this? Also, If this is indeed true what about the effects loop being active makes for the better tone? Input appreciated......

Every preamp I owned previous to my Roadster had an effects loop that was always engaged. I didn't overdo effects, but I did enjoy putting a little chorus and/or delay in the loop for solos and some clean stuff. Never really liked using effects for distorted rhythm. So one day I'm messing with my Roadster, and I decided to turn off the effects loop. I was floored by the clean tones I was getting. Went to the distorted side of things and was amazed by how much better the tone was. Ended up selling my pedals and leaving the effects to the mixing people. The increase in tonal complexity and dynamics made me forget about effects. Plus, I didn't want the effects squashing my tone.

Now I own a TA-15, which doesn't even have an effects loop. I don't miss an effects loop. In fact, my next amp will either not have an effects loop or have a bypass switch! Oh, the Roadster is a great amp, btw, but it's just not me.

I guess I am just different. Loop engaged seems to suck the high end out of the tone. ALWAYS off.

Hmmm... It sounds like that it could be a mix of personal preference and something that differs from amp to amp. Keepem coming guys....

talltxguy said:
Oh, the Roadster is a great amp, btw, but it's just not me.

I can relate. I recently sold mine as well because I didn't feel like I was completely happy with it. Not to mention I came to the conclusion that it was simply to much amp for me and that all the extra features were distracting me from actually playing and having fun. Having said that, I found myself overwhelmed most of the time as I felt obligated to put all the extras to their best possible use which in turn had me constantly tweaking. I have since replaced my old Roadster with a Mini Rectifier which is much more suitable for my playing situation which I'm alot more happy with so far....... :mrgreen:

Not too sure if it the type of effect(s) you use. I use a Line 6 M13 only. Using the 4 cable method I use echos, reverbs, and some of the modulation and/or filters through the loop while placing wahs, ODs, and such through the front of the amp. I also use a Line 6 G50 wireless which is extremely clean. Anyway, I have used this method with all my amps and have great clean tone. I have A/B'd with and without the loop as well as with and without the wireless; and same story - great tone. But I only have a Mark III, .50 Caliber (EL84 - not the plus), and a Heartbreaker from Mesa. So maybe not the same environment based upon whether your loop was series or parallel.

I am not techie so I just added that (series versus parallel loop) in case someone who is techie can add to this. :oops:

Dennis

GuitarGuy503 said:
I read somewhere that the tone of an amp is best when the effects loop is engaged. Having said that can anyone verify this? Also, If this is indeed true what about the effects loop being active makes for the better tone? Input appreciated......

I heard the exact opposite with regards to the roadster: that it sounds better with the effects loop bypassed.

I keep the loop out on my triple. It is much tighter, crunchier, and all around better without it. The only thing is, the volume level LOL. With just the one master, it is god awfully loud! I can't crack the master past 7:00 without hurting my ears :p It still sounds amazing though

I used to use effects pretty heavily with the effects loop engaged and then one day decided to try everything up front with the loop bypassed.... the amp (roadster) sounded so much better!! Clean tones, distorted tones - amazing. I haven't run the effects loop since. NOW, some of the pedals I used sounded terrible up front so they were sold and replaced with others, I am happy now.

Back