Stereo issue

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harem_theater

Reaction score
Hey people.

I'm still all over my roadster after about a year of owning it but recently I had been hankering for a creamier, smokier (all the food words) tone like I used to have with my egnater tol100. So I went and got another one and am looking into an x-pattern stereo setup with both amps through my orange cab. The roadster has that V curve eq and the tol is pretty much the opposite, cut highs, extra mids but it also has lows like the roadster.

Now as the orange is mono only, I obviously need to modify that first but am after some wiring advice so I can swap it back to mono when needed. Also there's a ground hum.

Anyone got a list of things I'll need to think of as well as solutions before I start this next glorious tone journey?

Cheers
Matt

Here are the two common Mono/Stereo wiring schematics. Which one you use depends on the impedence of the speakers in the cab and the desired final impedences.

For example, in a Mesa Recto 4X12, the speakers are 8 Ohms each. The stereo pairs are wired in parallel for 4 Ohm each (left & right) pair. They are combined in Series at the jackplate for Mono with an 8 Ohm total load.

4X12_Cab_Jackplate.jpg

As far as hum that is most likely a ground loop. How are you splitting the guitar signal between the amps?

Dom

Thanks heaps for the wiring Dom. I'm splitting with a Dunlop crybaby from hell. It has a switch to have 1 input and 2 outs both buffered. I've used this with other amps without any issue, but obviously these amps don't like each other or something. If there is anything inside the pedal that I can modify I would prefer to go that route.

As far as I know you should never plug two heads in the same cab unless you have a Radial Tonebone or something similar. You can damage your heads or cab with that configuration!

If the cab is a 4x12 and has stereo out it is ok...right?

Essentially there would be two separate cabs in one enclosure or whatever.

Select the stereo option and use a DMM to check each side for correct impedance.

Each amp would then plug into one side of the cab, left or right.

I am trying the exact same thing.

I hope it is o.k.

boss4 said:
As far as I know you should never plug two heads in the same cab unless you have a Radial Tonebone or something similar. You can damage your heads or cab with that configuration!
The Left and Right sides of the Recto 4X12 are electricly isolated. When used in stereo it is basicly two individual speaker arrays in one cabinet. It is what the cabinet was designed for:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar Cabinets/4x12-JackplateLG.htm

The jackplate is labeled "Split for Stereo or Bi-Amp". I don't think Mesa would label it like that if it was not safe to do so.

But don't take my word on it if you don't want to, pick up the phone and call Mesa.

Dom

domct203 said:
The Left and Right sides of the Recto 4X12 are electricly isolated. When used in stereo it is basicly two individual speaker arrays in one cabinet. It is what the cabinet was designed for:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar Cabinets/4x12-JackplateLG.htm

The jackplate is labeled "Split for Stereo or Bi-Amp". I don't think Mesa would label it like that if it was not safe to do so.

But don't take my word on it if you don't want to, pick up the phone and call Mesa.

Dom
I didn´t know that, thanks for the information. But maybe that phone call isn´t a bad idea...

So i Rewired my cab using a DPDT switch on the back.

This is how i wired it.

4sp_stereo_mono.gif

It's great because if i'm ever in a rush to set up like at a gig or anything, i'm only going to have one amp with me. So. if the switch is accidentally knocked it's either going to be in the proper 4ohms position, or 8 ohms in which case neither will harm my amp. The only time i have to be careful is when running 2 amps, i obviously can't have the switch in mono....but when that happens, i won't be rushing myself anyway.

The only other issue i've come across is that both amps are in phase with one another EXCEPT for the egnater's channel 3. So my friend and i are looking into what it would take to reverse the phase on this channel only without adding a gain stage.

TOO MUCH WORK!! :roll:

Latest posts

Back