dual recto power consumption

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaklavaMetal

Reaction score
Hello there!
Does anybody know how much Watts does Dual rectifier 3chan need to operate safely?
I'll be getting one this week, but US 120v version but i'm in europe so the voltage here is 230v.
so, i will need a stepdown transformer. I searched the web, and read the manual more than one time, and i couldn't find how much power this amp needs. Will 300w transformer be enough?

thank you!

thanks for the welcome and thanks for the info :)

just one more hypothetical question: if i pull out 2 power tubes/1 rectifier tube so it runs on 50w power, will i lower the power consumption of the amplifier?

Theoreticaly yes, but it will not be reduced by half.

Do not go cheap on the step-down tranny. The last thing you want to do is starve a tube amp of power. Your overall tone and dynamics will suffer.

Whether it is 2 or 4 powertubes I still recommend a minimum of a 500W tranny. There is the rare chance that if the step-down tranny fails due to overload you could expose the amp to pure mains voltage (240V). The parts of the amp that will need replaceing after that would be 2-3 times the cost of a high quality/power step-down tranny.

Dom

don't worry, i won't spend 1500$ (and this is a BARGAIN price for a used one) on an amp and then go cheap on the transformer i need to run it. that's why i stated it's a hypothetical question :)

thanks!

I agree with Dom....MINIMUM of 500 watts....and I'll also add to make sure you get a quality transformer. This is one area to not skimp out on. It's better to spend a few bucks more on a quality tranny than spend a few grand on a new amp.

i'll custom order a step down from a comapny here that makes transformers. i was wondering, where could i get the specs for the PT in the amp? so i can give them the specs to make me a new PT instead of rewinding the old one. stepdown is just a temporary solution because it's not practical, and i want to avoid all posibility of me or someone else plugging it straight in the wall and ruining it.

The Dual Recto's Power Tranny is somewhat unique due to the variac (bold/spongy) function, which is actually an additional tap on the primary side. It is NOT your basic 100W amp PT. Here is a schematic of the Rectifier series power supply:

mesaboogiedualrectifier5.gif

That's the 2-channel version, but you can see the extra tap on the primary side. I do not know the actual specs of your transformer.

Personally, I would either get the replacement from Mesa (which I understand is not easy in Europe), or through Mercury Magnetics http://www.mercurymagnetics.com/pages/mainframe.htm

I believe you need the Mercury Magnetic "MESAB-DUALR-P-120/240" model, which is a high quality upgraded transformer. I have personally dealt with Patrick Selfridge at MM (email him and tell him Dominic with the Roadster Power Transformer recommended him), they are a great group of people willing to help you preserve and improve the integrity of your amp.

I agree, replacing the PT with a QUALITY unit is the best approach.

Dom

Latest posts

Back