Installing tubes in Single Rec

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhenIWake

Reaction score
Been playing a solid state for the last 15 years and I'm about to get my first tube head. Single Rectifier Solo. The tubes are coming independently packaged from the amp. How difficult is installation and is there anything I need to watch out for?

Thanks

For power tubes (the big ones) just make sure you line the notches on the plastic aligning pin with the notches on the sockets, and push them down into the holes. Make sure they're seated fully, and watch out that you don't push them in at an angle, or you could break the aligning pin off.

For preamp tubes (the smaller ones), they will have 9 pins and a blank space. Simply line them up with the sockets and push them in.

It's a very simple procedure.

Cool, so there are 4 tubes total? Any risk of electrocuting myself? Just want to make sure . It's better for you to laugh at me now alive, then laugh at me when I'm crispy :mrgreen:

Don't plug in the amp, and there's no risk of electrocuting yourself. Tubes aren't capacitors, they don't store energy.

I believe there's actually 7 tubes on that model: 2 power tubes and 5 preamp tubes. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

So are there specific tubes for each of the preamp ones? Or can I put any of the 5 preamp tubes in any of the preamp sockets?

WhenIWake said:
So are there specific tubes for each of the preamp ones? Or can I put any of the 5 preamp tubes in any of the preamp sockets?

All preamp tubes are 12ax7s as stock

All power tubes are 6L6s as stock

You can swap any of the pre-amp tube and its not going to cause a problem. However (and this is slightly more of an advanced topic) its best to put the most clean/stable of your preamp tubes into the V1 socket for the best clean sound.

The power tubes are sold as matched pairs. I believe you can switch them, but if you have to replace one.....you have to replace both.

If you have not yet done so, I recommend you go to MesaBoogie.com and download the manual for your amp. There is alot of good info about how your amp's EQ, gain & outputs work.

Good luck with your new amp and welcome to The Board.

Dom

domct203 said:
If you have not yet done so, I recommend you go to MesaBoogie.com and download the manual for your amp. There is alot of good info about how your amp's EQ, gain & outputs work.

Good luck with your new amp and welcome to The Board.

Dom
Thank you Dom. Yes I read the manual all day at work today! Can't wait to get it, glad to be part of the family

Remove the aluminum strip on the back of the amp before trying to install the tubes. It makes seeing what you're doing easier

Well the amp arrived today from Guitar Center. They only sent me 2 power tubes and no preamp tubes! Will call them in a bit

WhenIWake said:
Well the amp arrived today from Guitar Center. They only sent me 2 power tubes and no preamp tubes! Will call them in a bit

Well there, it's a single rec. It has only two power tubes. :lol:

Did you look under the metal tube covers? I bet you'll find your 12AX7's in them. Slowly rotate them and they'll pop off under spring tension

Back