Tremoverb or Roadster combo?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikey383

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a combo. The only problem is that I have no experience with either of these models of Dual Recs other than hearing a Tremoverb a few times and playing one a long time ago....so I don't really recall much from that. I loved my Dual Rec head and 4x12, but anymore I have no need for a halfstack. I'm not really playing out now, just jamming at home.

I guess I can demo a Roadster at the local Mesa dealers, but can't really do that with the TOV.

The Tremoverb combo would be more difficult to find. You could get a Rectoverb combo, which is a more rock sounding amp with a little more natural upper midrange than the Roadster. I've heard some really great tones from the Rectoverb's, Van Halen style. I have the Roadster and can vouch for how awesome the amp is. Both will be humongous burden's on your back though, especially the Roadster. Also, you'd be better served getting a 2x12 Roadster since it's closed back. I believe the Roadster 2x12 weighs 101 lbs. I'd get the head and cabinet separates if I were you.

If you can afford it, Roadster for the versatility alone.

And like BostonRedSox said, T-Verb combo's aren't that plentiful anyways.

I have two Tremoverbs.

I currently run in stereo with a G-Major.

Here is the kicker.

I recently thought that it would be nice to set up each Tremoverb differently so that essentially I would have "FOUR" channels:

Clean

Vintage High Gain

Blues

Modern High Gain

I was thinking of setting the Tremoverb with the SED =C= 6L6s using Vintage High Gain & Modern High Gain.

Then, set up the Tremoverb with the SED =C= EL34s using Clean & Blues.

Or whatever sounds the best for the application.

My only trouble is when I A/B my amps, instead of Y'ing them using the Radial ToneBone JX-2, I get effects spill over to each un-selected amp.

The switch does not mute the un-selected amp but denies it signal from my guitar.

However, the G-Major is connected to both amps in stereo and therefore sends the output of the effects to both amps.

I have not figured this out yet and may have to live with it.

Anyway, I think at one time I was thinking of selling my Tremoverbs and getting either a Roadster or a Road King II.

Now I just think I will keep my Twin Babies.

To each his own, and if I had it to do all over again I think I MIGHT do it again without changing a thing.

I've wondered about this for a longtime (even before settling on the Roadster). I love the Roadster but still can't help but wonder what the TOV is like and if it's possibly a "better" choice. About a year and a half ago I actually saw a used TOV Head at a music store but wasn't curious enough at the time to give it a whirl (already had my Roadster). I really regret not taking the opportunity to try it out as it would be nice to put my curiosity to rest. :lol: Maybe I'll just track one down someday..... :mrgreen:

Love my Roadster but just picked up a Rectoverb which is amazing as well. I haven't had a chance to play a TOV though... ?Roadster is great if you want the options

The RectOVerb Series 2s are good but the cleans on the series 1 I used to own was absolutely horrible.

fluff191 said:
If you can afford it, Roadster for the versatility alone.

And like BostonRedSox said, T-Verb combo's aren't that plentiful anyways.

Yeah definitely this. At the very least if you aren't impressed by the Roadster you'll be able to tell while you're still in the store.

I hate moving these, but love to play them?

I sucks not having roadies too.

Yeah the Tverb will be cheaper. And it has alot less gain than the roadster if thats important to you. They still have alot but not as much as other rectos. otherwise you twist the knobs and theyre all simular. You know.

The Tverbs also have some reliability issues with LDRs - potentially. So maybe a roadster is the way to go.

I just got done listening to some rough clips of the TOV that were given to me by a member of the Seymour Duncan Forum. The Trem-O-Verb can get VERY raunchy/aggressive because of it's midrange character. Having said that, If you are looking for an "in your face" distortion the TOV is definately the way to go. If you are looking for a distortion that is not so in your face/smoother the Roadster is the way to go. The TOV is a brighter amp than the Roadster no doubt. I actually have the treble cranked on my Roadster to brighten it up though.

I have two Tremoverbs.

I have seen some past posts about LDRs.

I am concerned, as I do not know what they are, what they control and how to know if I have a problem.

Sure would be nice to know.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Honestly you will regret getting a 2x12, do yourself a favor and by yourself a head and a 2x12 cabinet, alot eaiser to move plus gives you the option to upgrade later to a 4x12 if you want. I once made the mistake of agetting a roadking combo, that thing was killer to move.

siggy14 said:
Honestly you will regret getting a 2x12, do yourself a favor and by yourself a head and a 2x12 cabinet, alot eaiser to move plus gives you the option to upgrade later to a 4x12 if you want. I once made the mistake of agetting a roadking combo, that thing was killer to move.

Agreed. When I decided on the Roadster I had the same choice to make. I considered the 2x12 combo but knew it would be heavy as hell. In addition to the weight of the combo I didn't like the look of the combo format so it made my decision much easier when I settled on the head.

Old thread bump. I had a Roadster combo for a few weeks just because GC was blowing it out for $999. In the end I wound up bringing it back. It's really not a great sounding amp at all. Constant tweaking, either it's too dark and when you try to brighten it up it gets too fizzy. There's really not a lot of gain on the vintage high gain modes. I played a Rectoverb and I was 100% surprised that channel 2 vintage high gain on that amp just SMOKES anything on the Roadster. And to me, I'd rather have a few KILLER sounds than a bunch of mediocre one's which the Raodster is.

So, if the Tremoverb is anything like the Rectoverb I say sacrifice a bit of versatility for the better tone.

Back