The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:48 am 
Mark III

boosting has been a popular subject lately. Any chance of adding some quick guidlines /how to ?

2x12 Horizontal Cab
Line UX6 w/ Overloud 2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:14 am 
Mark III

Addictedtokaos wrote:
boosting has been a popular subject lately. Any chance of adding some quick guidlines /how to ?

? Get a booster/overdrive/distortion and put it in front of the amp.. no real trick to it. Usually leave gain low, volume high.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:31 pm 
Donating Member

Addictedtokaos wrote:

Yeah sure I can put something up regarding boosting.

Videos: http://www.youtube.com/fluff191
Tunes: http://www.blackmetalbicycle.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:31 pm 
Mark II

Dont Dial in Settings/Tones with your eyes. Use your ears its what theyre there for!

ADA MQ-1
07 PRS Single Cut Mahogany Satin
06 PRS Single Cut Tobacco Burst
1978 Greco Les Paul Standard
2009 Les Paul Studio Deluxe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:23 am 
Bottle Rocket

In response to the question of boosting, Rectifiers, in my experience prefer boost pedals that have more of an emphasis on the high mids than the low mids, considering the Rectifier series is a bit more low mid voiced and grindy. The Maxon OD820 Pro, Maxon OD808, and Boss SD-1 are my favorite boosts with the Recto; the OD808 and SD-1 will give you quite a bit more "sheen" than the OD820.

As per settings, I usually run gain a little under 9:00, tone anywhere from 10:00 to 1:00, and level anywhere from 12:00 to 2:00 depending on the guitar in question. Boosts should always go in front of the amplifier.

Also, the FAQ is really right; the Rectifier/Stiletto Cabinets are definitely the best sounding enclosures for the Rectifier series amps. I have owned 9 different cabinets with varying speaker elements, and I keep going back to the Recto Cab :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:22 pm 
Mark I

Hey all, I had the channel 3/4 volume drop-out issue over the weekend after switching my Roadking II into spongy mode. After some searching, I found the threads about the Chinese v Russian tubes and after some tube swapping, my amp is working again. It might be good to add that info into your FAQ. I'm sure a lot of people are still running into this problem.

Also, I'm a little nervous about going back into spongy mode even though I have Chinese tubes in V3/V5. Does anyone else play consistenly in spongy mode without any issues? Also, are the newer pre-amp tubes that Mesa uses immune to this problem? Should I change them all to the newer re-labeled JJ tubes if I'm going to be playing in Spongy mode quite a bit?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:30 pm 
Donating Member

Gunnski wrote:
Also, I'm a little nervous about going back into spongy mode even though I have Chinese tubes in V3/V5. Does anyone else play consistenly in spongy mode without any issues? Also, are the newer pre-amp tubes that Mesa uses immune to this problem? Should I change them all to the newer re-labeled JJ tubes if I'm going to be playing in Spongy mode quite a bit?

So far as I understand the issue only involves New Sensor (Russian) tubes.

On that note, I wish I could find a source for NOS (pre 2008) EHX preamp tubes.

| Les Paul | McCarty | Custom 24 | CE 22 |
| D800 | Dual Rectifier | Electra Dyne | Rectoverb:25 | Strategy 8:88 |
| Powerhouse 410 | Recto 1x12, 2x12, 4x12 | Subway 112, 115 |

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:46 pm 
Donating Member

Gunnski wrote:
Hey all, I had the channel 3/4 volume drop-out issue over the weekend after switching my Roadking II into spongy mode. After some searching, I found the threads about the Chinese v Russian tubes and after some tube swapping, my amp is working again. It might be good to add that info into your FAQ. I'm sure a lot of people are still running into this problem.

Good call.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:54 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Quote:
Q: I can't seem to get enough gain out of my Recto. Is there something wrong?

A: Yes. You may need to go back to your Line 6 Spider combo.

This is hilarious to me because my first amp was a Line 6 Spider II 150 2x12! Great first amp but, it gave way to the Roadster! Good practice/backup though....

(Current) Mesa Electra Dyne 1x12 (Past) Fender HRD III, Hughes/Kettner TM 18, 1972 Fender PR, & Mesa Roadster & 2x12 Recto Cab / (Current) '90 PRS Signature CU24 10 Top, Epiphone Les Paul, Taylor GA7, & Vester Strat (Past) PRS CU22

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:41 am 
Donating Member

Oh I miss mine still. Great amps.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:24 pm 
Dual Recto

Quote:
Q: I can't seem to get enough gain out of my Recto. Is there something wrong?

Or "My recto doesn't do metal" Or "my recto isn't as heavy as my friend's Peavey 5150" Or "my recto gets lost in the mix".

General observation: The Mids are the aggression control. The more aggression / tightness / cut you want, the more you turn the mids up. Presence adds top end harmonics and 'cut'. Won't get fizzy at 'gig' levels. If the tone gets too bright, drop the treble slightly.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:15 am 
Mark II

Yetti wrote:
Dont Dial in Settings/Tones with your eyes. Use your ears its what theyre there for!

A BIG +1

GMP Korina V
Music Man Silhouette Special

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:01 pm 
Mark I

lolzgreg wrote:
In response to the question of boosting, Rectifiers, in my experience prefer boost pedals that have more of an emphasis on the high mids than the low mids, considering the Rectifier series is a bit more low mid voiced and grindy. The Maxon OD820 Pro, Maxon OD808, and Boss SD-1 are my favorite boosts with the Recto; the OD808 and SD-1 will give you quite a bit more "sheen" than the OD820.

I use the MXR GT-OD and boy... it works beautifully!!! 100% recommended.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:44 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Total noob here and brand new to forum,

I have little to no experience with Mesa amps and just played my first Dual Recto the other day and was floored. It sounded amazing on all channels.

I have several questions about these amps though.

First, what is the difference between single, dual and triple rectifiers? Obviously I get the single only has one rectifier but what type is it? And the dual has diode and tube rectifiers but what about the triple? And what difference does it make, diode or tube rectification? Does it effect the tone?

And what about the Mini recto? does it have only one rectifier? how does it compare to a dual (since that is the only one I have played) in terms of modern high gain? I mainly play metal and loved the dual's red channel on modern high gain.

I am seriously considering getting one of these. Also what about cabs besides the recto cabs, any good alternatives, just for curiosity sake. I don't particularly like Vintage 30's .

Thanks, I appreciate all the knowledge I have seen so far on this site,

Rock on!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:49 am 
Mark I

That's actually a good question so I'll jump into it.

The Dual Rectifier was the original of the Rectifier series until the Triple Rectifier came out somewhere around Revision F of the 2 channel models. The original thought was that it had two types of rectifiers, tubes and diodes. That was laid to waist when the Triple came out having 3 rectifier tubes and also silicone diodes. Some time later (I'm not sure when) the Single was released as a 50 watt head that had NO rectifier tubes. It only ran on solid state rectification. Also it ditched the Spongy/Bold switch as well. So the meaning between Single, Dual and Triple really hasn't been consistent from one head to the other, save for sounding good with the name. I don't know why it wasn't designed with at least one rectifier tube in mind, but hey, that's not for me to decide. A large part of the Recto sound is from that pre-amp combined with their cooly biased power section, and the Single still had that. The rectification type does have an effect on tone; it's not super pronounced but it's there. Diodes are more aggressive and upfront. Using the rectifier tubes introduces a little sag into the sound and gives it a slightly more loose, vintage vibe.

Like it's bigger brothers, the Single Rectifier underwent a revision. Series One accepted only 6L6 tubes and featured 4 modes total: Clean and Pushed on Channel One and Vintage and Modern Channel Two. Series Two brought about the adjustable bias switch to run EL34s (which sound FANTASTIC in a Single Rec) as well as introducing Raw mode to the gain channel. Two channel layout on both versions with both Output and Solo controls. It also got a sibling called the Recto-verb: Basically the single recto with reverb. Still a fairly sought after little amp too. People that have their Recto-verbs love them. Great flavors of Recto tone that unfortunately were discontinued recently since the newer Multi-watt Rectos can switch down to 50 watts. Still, if you're looking for good Recto tone on the cheap, these can be had used for a great price.

Mini Recto - 25 watt amp switchable to 10 watts. Recto preamp with EL84 power section. A little brighter I believe than the standard Dual and Triples. This is most likely due to the EL84 tubes vs 6L6s that the bigger Rectos ship with.

Speakers are very, very subjective, especially with Rectos. I am one who LOVES the Recto sound through a Mesa cab with Vintage 30s. I also love a Mark through those speakers and 5150s through them too. But V30s are not for every one. A lot of people have had great success with various cabs and speaker combos. Mills makes phenomenal cabs. Avatar makes a great cab for the buck that you can get loaded with whatever you want. Mojo tone as well. Genz-benz cabs sound good too. The Revision G Dual Recto I just got? I played that through a Genz-benz with Swamp Thangs to test it and man that was a hellaciously awesome sludge/doom tone coming out of it. Celestion and Eminence both have a variety that are great. Legend V12s fit the less aggressive/shrill (whatever you want to call it) bill of the V30 as do WGS Veteran 30s. I've heard them run through G12T75s that have sounded good, despite that speaker being scooped in the mids. G12K100s are another favorite for Rectos. EVs too, but they weigh a ton and cost a ton, but if that's what you want go for it. MC90s (Mesa Black Shadows) also sound fantastic. A more even response than the mid heavy V30 (and sounds great mixed with V30s). What I'm saying is this: different speakers will profoundly affect the voice of this amp as will the construction of the cab it's in. If you can try one with different cab/speaker combos then do it. It'll help narrow down what you want for your tone.

Hope this helps dude.

Mesa/Boogie Recto 4x12
Mesa/Boogie Recto 2x12
Assorted Les Pauls, Strats and V's.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next