I finally pulled the trigger on a Rectoverb!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thatguy

Reaction score
I couldn't be happier with it. I bought it last night, it was too late to crank so I had to wait until today. Right off the bat I unplugged the combo speaker and plugged in my recto 4x12. I was blown away with the sounds I get! Then I got curious and switched back to the combo speaker (which in this case is a Texas heat). WOW I cant believe it sounds so good with that one lonely speaker. Well I'm sold and now I'm considering getting rid of my 4x12 recto with side armor, and picking up a 2x12 recto or road king cab. Anyone else loving their rectoverb? Also mine has the adjustable bias mod and test points installed. And it looks like it is fresh from the factory, I couldn't find a scratch on it!

Keep on rocking, boogie! :D

I had a Rectoverb head many years ago and loved it to death. I ended up getting rid of it because it drove me crazy to have so many great tones but only two at my disposal, so I went to a TriAxis rig. I still miss that head though, it was the sound I always wanted. Maybe a Road King or Roadster? Maybe even another Rectoverb. It truly sounded beyond belief. :mrgreen:

yeah, I love my rectoverb combo! I just recently noticed they're no longer on the mesa site so I guess the rectoverb has been discontinued.

Yeah I noticed that they werent on the website anymore. Another question, mine has a bias pot and test points...what should I set it at. I'm running Mesa 6l6's.

Jerry at FJA told me he sets Recto between 25ma to 30ma. I personally used to set mine about 35ma.

ok cool. but when i plug in my voltmeter the reading i get is -51v. and the range is about -40 to -65v. what does this mean?

The standard value on a standard bias is -38v to -48v for EL 34 and -40v to -48v for 6L6. There is a lot of mathmatics involved but this is a general rule.

Not sure how familiar you are with biasing in this method but a couple of tips...turn the amp on under load (stand by off meaning no sound guitar unplugged) and let it warm up for 5minutes. Take a measurement and make an adjust. If it's reading -51v i'd bring it to -45v and see how it sounds. Once you've done this, turn all the lights off in the room and ensure that there is no red or orange internal glow on the power tubes. If so the tube is running to hot and there is a risk that you could burn the tube up and possible take out other components. Be warned...when it's running too hot it will probably sound very good. Don't be tempted by this. If no glow, play for about 10min and then take another measurement and see where it sits.

clutch71 said:
The standard value on a standard bias is -38v to -48v for EL 34 and -40v to -48v for 6L6. There is a lot of mathmatics involved but this is a general rule.

Not sure how familiar you are with biasing in this method but a couple of tips...turn the amp on under load (stand by off meaning no sound guitar unplugged) and let it warm up for 5minutes. Take a measurement and make an adjust. If it's reading -51v i'd bring it to -45v and see how it sounds. Once you've done this, turn all the lights off in the room and ensure that there is no red or orange internal glow on the power tubes. If so the tube is running to hot and there is a risk that you could burn the tube up and possible take out other components. Be warned...when it's running too hot it will probably sound very good. Don't be tempted by this. If no glow, play for about 10min and then take another measurement and see where it sits.

I have a recotverb series 2, is there a knob or what do you actually make the adjustment with? I am trying to do whatever i can to make it play its best. I have a volt meter so I can do some of what you mentioned above about atleast seeing where it is at?

The OP bought an amp that was already modded w/ bias trim pots and test points. Without that, your bias is fixed by resistors and no way to adjust.

But it is a very simple mod to do if you have a little soldering experience. I did it on my 5150 head and it turned out perfect. It's just a matter of tracking down the correct resistor and cutting it out and replacing it with a pot and resistor in line. It really changed the tone for the better once the bias was a little warmer.

Thatguy said:
But it is a very simple mod to do if you have a little soldering experience. I did it on my 5150 head and it turned out perfect. It's just a matter of tracking down the correct resistor and cutting it out and replacing it with a pot and resistor in line. It really changed the tone for the better once the bias was a little warmer.

I've not looked at the schematci but if it's a series 2 with an EL34 or 6L6 switch it might be a little more involved. Doable but I don't knw I'd consider it simple if someone is not that familiar with the innards of amps.

Back