Dual vs Triple

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braintheory

Reaction score
Would the sound differences between a dual and triple rectifier be similar to the sound differences when I switch from 90 watts to 45 watts on my Mark V? Do the dual and triple really sound that different from each other? Also which of the two has more bottom end, the triple or the dual?

braintheory said:
Would the sound differences between a dual and triple rectifier be similar to the sound differences when I switch from 90 watts to 45 watts on my Mark V? Do the dual and triple really sound that different from each other? Also which of the two has more bottom end, the triple or the dual?

They aren't very different. The Triple has a little bit more bottom end and is slightly tighter, but you wouldn't notice a significant difference until well after ear splitting volumes.

I'm not sure on the more bottom end and more tighter, but they sound similar. When I had a regular dual rec, it sounded the same as my buddy's triple. At gigs, he just had to crank his higher to get the saturation as my past dual rec. Plain and simple...they just have a lil more balls, which in my own opinion, is overkill.

For what its' worth, they have the same preamp layout, but the power amp is just 2 power tubes different. Some like the added girth, some think it's overkill.

Personally, they sound the same. It all comes down to what you need.

It's all about the amp / speaker interaction. If you're running a 4x12, not only will you never need a Triple, but it will push most speakers past where they sound just as the amp is getting into the really sweet spot. If you're running a stack really loud, then the Triple might be the way to go.

I'd go for the Dual since I'm using a 200W greenback stack, but if I used speakers able to handle more power, then I might go for the Triple.

Everyone will tell you that everything is the same except for the amount of tubes, and technically that may be true.

But even at lower volumes Triples just sound meaner and a little tighter to me, and possibly a tad brighter.

Compare them yourself, you can't convey the way the amps feel through a keyboard/monitor.

Latest posts

Back