botched loop mod

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R_ADKINS80

Reaction score
well i tried the loop mod depicted in the thread here on my triple. I get the amp fired up and my amp has very little volume and NO low end. the sound only gets thinner with the volume turned up and not louder. I figured the loop mod was bogus so i put everything back the way it was and now the loop still has the same issues unless hard bypassed. I have quadruple checked all solder connections and now my loop is useless. the only thing i can think might have happened is a ripped foil run when removing the mix pot leads. Be weary of trying to mod your own boogie. I have a state certificate in electronics and am certified to solder all the way down to surface mount components and IC chips and I STILL messed something up.

much bummage!

Man, if you're certified to do all that I'm confident that you can figure out how to fix your own mistake.

Never let a machine beat ya down!

R_ADKINS80 said:
well i tried the loop mod depicted in the thread here on my triple. I get the amp fired up and my amp has very little volume and NO low end. the sound only gets thinner with the volume turned up and not louder. I figured the loop mod was bogus so i put everything back the way it was and now the loop still has the same issues unless hard bypassed. I have quadruple checked all solder connections and now my loop is useless. the only thing i can think might have happened is a ripped foil run when removing the mix pot leads. Be weary of trying to mod your own boogie. I have a state certificate in electronics and am certified to solder all the way down to surface mount components and IC chips and I STILL messed something up.

There are several versions of the mod in that thread, if it is the thread I am thinking of. I wound up doing the mod suggested by 94tremoverb. It works. I contacted Boogie asking about the serial mod for the Triple, and the tech sent me the mod that appears early in that thread. The tech also told me that the loop will not be 100% serial evenwith the mod. They attributed the problem to the tube for the fx loop. Even the simple mod has a tiny bit of bleed. The mod Boogie sent me was more elaborate requiring the removal of several transistors. Since both mods had a little bleed, i went with the mod that required the least modification. I also traced the boogie mod on the pcb board. From the way the parts connect, i am not sure that the Boogie mod shows everything that needs to be changed. I hope yougetit sorted out.

yeah upon further inspection with a lighted magnifying glass, when I pulled the leads off the board for the mix pot, I ripped the foil run up for the center lead and now there is no connection being made.....I either need to find the other end of the run and solder a wire in place of the run or scrape the varnish off the run to solder a small jumper to bridge the gap in the connection.....that is a SMALLL foil run!

I did the same thing to my Dual while trying to mod it. Broke the foil trace replacing a LDR. I ended up using a piece of a resistor leg and soldering it across the break.

repaired the broken foil run tonight but my loops is still having the same symptoms....guess i"ll just run the loop bypassed. Kinda sucks now that I can't run my Hush IICX anymore until I get around to getting it fixed by a competent mesa tech (does not exist in this state to my knowledge). The "certified" mesa tech in my area told me that "if I wanted to run EL34's in my recto then i should've just bought a stiletto because it basically castrates the amp and makes it sound the same as one anyways." lol

Which version of the mod did you do? The one where the J175 transistors are removed and jumpers installed, or this one?

Picture537.jpg

it was the one where you just remove the 3 leads from the board and just put a jumper from the center wiper pad to one of the outside pads. it was the one where most people remove the three tansisters but from what I gathered from 94tremoverb in the mod thread, all you should have to do is remove the mix put and put in the jumper and shouldn't have to touch the three transistors.....so i tried it and broke the foil run, bridged the break in the run and now my loop is still shot.

Back