2ch dual recto need Metallica tone xD

Discussion area for Single, Dual and Trip Rectifers

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

Amaterasu
Bottle Rocket

2ch dual recto need Metallica tone xD

Post by Amaterasu » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:27 pm

Hey guys help please with Metallica tone for 2ch recto, some for old like a mop or load reload, and some for death magnetic. Maybe one good settings. So give me please settings, try to cover but cant obtain good sound. I try one and with band.
Bwah bwahwrrhwrq

screamingdaisy
Donating Member

Re: 2ch dual recto need Metallica tone xD

Post by screamingdaisy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:39 pm

If I remember correctly, these are the settings off Hetfield's amp;

Red channel
Gain: 12:00
Treb: 1:00
Mids: 11:30
Bass: 12:00
Pres: 1:00
Master: 10:00

Combined with an EMG81 of course. With a passive pickup you'll need to mess with the settings until you find something that works.
Ignore the hype and trust your ears. Play more, buy less = better tone.

Amaterasu
Bottle Rocket

Post by Amaterasu » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:06 pm

screamingdaisy
Oh, thanks.
Try it today.

Maybe someone know some settings too? Post it please guys. )
Bwah bwahwrrhwrq

boss4
Mark III

Post by boss4 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:28 pm

You can search here in this board:
http://www.forum.grailtone.com/viewforum.php?f=35
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier 3Ch
Mesa Boogie Recto Cabinet 4x12 Standard
Bogner Alchemist
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ibanez RG2550Z Prestige

Amaterasu
Bottle Rocket

Post by Amaterasu » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:36 pm

screamingdaisy wrote:If I remember correctly, these are the settings off Hetfield's amp;

Red channel

Combined with an EMG81 of course. With a passive pickup you'll need to mess with the settings until you find something that works.
I think thats not it. To low gain. Sound like a little chrunch. But thanks.

boss4
Thanks, but I cant find anything. Too many talks, and nothing about rectifier settings. Maybe u see something? Maybe I just not find. If u see can u please post something.

Maybe anybody know something else?
Thanks guys. :)
Bwah bwahwrrhwrq

screamingdaisy
Donating Member

Post by screamingdaisy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:08 pm

Amaterasu wrote: I think thats not it. To low gain. Sound like a little chrunch. But thanks.
I usually ran mine up around 1:00. Kirk runs his around 1:30.

Anyway, here's where I originally found those settings.

http://www.montyjay.com/jamestriplerectosettings.html

and

(Kirk uses channel 2 on modern, you can see the settings marked on the amp)

mikey383
Single Recto

Post by mikey383 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:22 pm

screamingdaisy wrote:
Amaterasu wrote: I think thats not it. To low gain. Sound like a little chrunch. But thanks.
I usually ran mine up around 1:00. Kirk runs his around 1:30.

Anyway, here's where I originally found those settings.

http://www.montyjay.com/jamestriplerectosettings.html

and

(Kirk uses channel 2 on modern, you can see the settings marked on the amp)
Those are pretty much the same settings I used (I ran my presence a little higher...around 1) and nailed the Load tone.
Guitars:Schecter C-1 Classic, Ibanez RG7321, Epiphone LP Supreme
Amps:70's Earth head
Cabs:Recto 4x12, 5150 4x12
Effects:Digitech GSP2101, Budwah
Past amps '95 Dual Recto, '96 Dual Recto, Stiletto Trident, 3 ch. Triple Rec

Silverwulf
Donating Member

Post by Silverwulf » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:53 pm

screamingdaisy wrote:If I remember correctly, these are the settings off Hetfield's amp;

Red channel

That's about what I would recommend for 90's era Metallica tones. Depending on tubes, I would bump the Gain to around 1:00 - 2:00, drop the Bass to around 10:00, and you're set. To the original poster saying it seems like a light crunch...it's about right on par. Most of Hetfield's gain comes form his pick attack. You have to really dig in to get the most out of the amp, and it'll respond accordingly. I pick similar to Hetfield, so for example...we let our friends band use our backline at a gig once. I played my Recto and it sounded huge, thick, punchy, etc. got tons of compliments. We didn't touch a single knob, they plugged into our rigs for their set, and all of a sudden it sounded more dull, sounded like it was lacking gain, signal was weaker, etc. Pick attack means a lot with a Recto, really dig in.

Also, keep in mind that the volume you're playing at will dramatically affect your settings. If you have that amp volume set at 9:00, then bump it up to 10:30, you're going to have to completely re-EQ and tweak some because once that power section kicks in more and the amp opens up, it going to sound bigger, brighter, etc...and you'll have to adjust.
Boogie user of 20+ years, previous owner of 150+ Rectos, author of the previous "2 Channel Recto User Guide" and current "3 Channel Recto User Guide" (if I ever stop being lazy and finish it)...

ryjan
Dual Recto

Post by ryjan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:12 pm

Silverwulf wrote:

Red channel

That's about what I would recommend for 90's era Metallica tones. Depending on tubes, I would bump the Gain to around 1:00 - 2:00, drop the Bass to around 10:00, and you're set. To the original poster saying it seems like a light crunch...it's about right on par. Most of Hetfield's gain comes form his pick attack. You have to really dig in to get the most out of the amp, and it'll respond accordingly. I pick similar to Hetfield, so for example...we let our friends band use our backline at a gig once. I played my Recto and it sounded huge, thick, punchy, etc. got tons of compliments. We didn't touch a single knob, they plugged into our rigs for their set, and all of a sudden it sounded more dull, sounded like it was lacking gain, signal was weaker, etc. Pick attack means a lot with a Recto, really dig in.

Also, keep in mind that the volume you're playing at will dramatically affect your settings. If you have that amp volume set at 9:00, then bump it up to 10:30, you're going to have to completely re-EQ and tweak some because once that power section kicks in more and the amp opens up, it going to sound bigger, brighter, etc...and you'll have to adjust.
^^^This^^^
Everybody thinks Metallica uses gobs and gobs of gain to get their sound. They dont. It's all in the fingers. Use the settings recommended above and practice until you can get the "Metallica" tone. It's in there.
Mark V:25
Recto 2x12
ESP Explorer

erectifier
Mark II

Post by erectifier » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:52 am

ryjan wrote: ^^^This^^^
Everybody thinks Metallica uses gobs and gobs of gain to get their sound. They dont. It's all in the fingers. Use the settings recommended above and practice until you can get the "Metallica" tone. It's in there.
Not only does this hold true for metallica but getting good tone out of a rectifier in general! Back off the gain, turn the volume up and focus your picking!
HEAR MY BAND - http://www.myspace.com/theblackwallsband

Solo 50 Single Rectifier Head w/ KT77's
Home-made Bill Fitz-Maurice XF212 w/ V30's

Prs Paul Allender Signature 24
Squier Tom Delonge Signature Strat
Gretsch Pro Jet
Maton EM425/12string

Amaterasu
Bottle Rocket

Post by Amaterasu » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:08 pm

Thanks guys. That nice tips.
Bwah bwahwrrhwrq

YellowJacket
Dual Recto

Post by YellowJacket » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:49 am

Ya, I kind of figured out the key to getting a phat chunky rhythm myself. I tell you, I busted A LOT of strings in the process!!
Generally, scraping the pick with a really heavy feel in the hand while palm muting will give a really phat, chunky and defined tone.
Something else I learned. When playing, using a bit of flesh from the thumb as well really brings out the upper harmonics which is great for skate punk style playing.

I tend to like the gain around noon for rhythm playing but if I need to play lead, I'll turn the gain up to about 2:00 - 2:30 and I'll roll back the volume on the guitar to about 8 which gives me a phatter and less saturated crunch.

What do you guys do for solos and lead playing? I find great rhythm settings don't work so well for fast soloing since quick passagework seems to require more gain, at least in my experience. I guess boosting or separate tone settings (Oh you 3 channel dudes) are pretty common too, huh?

screamingdaisy
Donating Member

Post by screamingdaisy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:03 am

Channel 1 on vintage and tube rectified. Usually around 1:00 on the gain knob, slight scoop in the mids and boosted by a Maxon OD808.

Unfortunately I preferred channel 1 for cleans.

Also unfortunately, for rhythm I liked channel 2 on modern and diode rectified. It's the other thing that drove me towards getting a Roadster.

YellowJacket
Dual Recto

Post by YellowJacket » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:05 am

Ugg, I am seriously leaning towards acquiring an Electra Dyne these days. I'm just scared I'll miss my Dual Rectifier if I ditch it. The trouble with the Dual is that it only sounds good cranked and I just can't crank it anywhere out in Toronto.

I'm just frustrated with all my gear right now. Gibson sounds fizzy with Dual Rec and Thiele (especially now that I replaced the one v30 with a second G12m Heritage. Expensive speaker, that). Strangely enough, with that setup my Godin LG with the Seymour Duncan Alnico II pro N and Custom Custom B simply sounds fantastic. Gibson sounds almost too midrangey in the oversized Mock 212B but it has to be the room since that cab sounds lethal whenever I can pump a few watts through it. Whenever I try an Electra Dyne combo, I can dial in the perfect tones for me. It just sounds like that sound in my head I always wanted. Strange thing, I had a similar experience when I was at my parents place for a summer after my first year of grad school. Since my amp was stored in Vancouver, I only had my guitar and my 4 x 12 (which I since traded). I rented a Marshall head and managed to dial in this absolutely wicked crunch tone. It was like DAMN, this was the sound I wanted all along! Yeesh!!

screamingdaisy
Donating Member

Post by screamingdaisy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:20 am

YellowJacket wrote:Ugg, I am seriously leaning towards acquiring an Electra Dyne these days. I'm just scared I'll miss my Dual Rectifier if I ditch it. The trouble with the Dual is that it only sounds good cranked and I just can't crank it anywhere out in Toronto.
Stick to eating Ramen Noodles. You'll slowly starve, but it'll free up cash for the ED. :wink: