Triple Rectifier 4x12 cab to a 2x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big_james693

Reaction score
I currently play a Triple Rectifier 150 watt head on a slanted 4x12 rectifier cab.
I am tired of lugging around such a big cab to my gigs with little space in my truck, and the wear and tear on my back.
I would like to downsize to the Rectifier 2x12 cab, but I am not sure if this small cab can handle the power.
The 2x12 handles 120 watts. I don't want to buy the 2x12 and blow it up on my first run with it.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/RECTOcabs/Recto2x12H-LG.htm

Does anyone know more about how the wattage works, and is this option ok?
The Mesa Website shows this option on the Cab lists, but I didn't know if it was just for looks.

Thanks!
-James

Listen, if you are REALLY worried, pull out the two outside power tubes and one of the rectifier tubes. Then connect the 8 ohm 2 x 12 from the 4 ohm output jack on the back of the amp. This will yield a safe ohm mismatch where the resistance of the cab is greater than the resistance output on the head. If you go from 8 ohm to 8 ohm, you'll end up with an unsafe mismatch because of how the impedance changes as you remove tubes.

(you can also buy a triple recto reborn, but that costs $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$s)

Buy a 2X12 (I'm planning doing the same) and use the volume wisely.

Latest posts

Back