Roadster retube with Mesa el34s

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giantstepjoe

Reaction score
I just put el34s in my Roadster. It's had the original 6l6s in it since I bought it in dec. '07. I can't wait to try it but right now my wife and boys are sleeping. It'll have to wait until tomorrow. I'm hoping to get more crunch, tighter bass and more present harmonics. I've got the amp pretty well dialed in to my liking- I'm just hoping that changing to el 34s doesn't change my tones so drastically that I have to start all over again.

Don't forget to flip the bias switch on the back of the head! Just wanted to make sure :D
Hope you like them man. There are advantages to both types of power tubes, and EL-34's really sound good Rectos in my opinion. Shouldn't be a drastic change, just some minor tweaking in the bass/mid/treble I would say, to compensate for the richer midrange harmonics of the EL's. Should also be a little clearer, since your old tubes were 3 years old....

-AJH

EL-34 gives a wicked crunch for rhythm tones. 6L6s Yield a better clean tone though. I think that EL-34s really are my least favourite tube for cleans.

You'll lose just a slight beefiness in your heavy gain but gain some nice midrange tones. As far as cleans, what I noticed the most was losing the clean bass headroom. The cleans were still good but a little less beefy. I love el34s winged c's but like the 6l6 winged c's a bit more.

It sounds amazing. I can't believe how better channels 3 and 4 sound to me. I should have switched to these a long time ago. It cuts more than thumps now and there is still plenty of bass for me In fact even with the el34s i'm still dialing the bass back on channel 3 and 4. The cleans are still great In fact i think I like how it cuts a little of the flab out of fat mode in channels 1 and 2 and makes it very well balanced. Today is a very good day!

Congrats man! Funny how just a change of tubes can bring back a ton of love for an amp.

~Nep~

I had Eurotubes do a complete retube for me with EL34L's and new preamp tubes. I have to say I'm probably never going back to 6L6's. Now I get kind of what I'd describe as a hybrid Marshall/Mesa sound. The traditional Marshall British crunch with the deepness and smoothness of a Mesa. Love what it did for my clean channel as well. With the 6L6's and the stock Mesa preamp tubes IMHO it scoops the mids too much and you really have to crank the volumes to cut through any mix. You can EQ up the mids but it just doesn't sound natural. The 34's have a more defined midrange and don't require as much volume.

I have a set of Mesa's EL34s in my Roadster too - Love it!

plapnab said:
I had Eurotubes do a complete retube for me with EL34L's and new preamp tubes. I have to say I'm probably never going back to 6L6's. Now I get kind of what I'd describe as a hybrid Marshall/Mesa sound. The traditional Marshall British crunch with the deepness and smoothness of a Mesa. Love what it did for my clean channel as well. With the 6L6's and the stock Mesa preamp tubes IMHO it scoops the mids too much and you really have to crank the volumes to cut through any mix. You can EQ up the mids but it just doesn't sound natural. The 34's have a more defined midrange and don't require as much volume.

I have to agree with the Marshall/Mesa hybrid statement. It's like the best of both worlds. To me the sounds are far more versatile with EL34s.

you should try some KT-77's in there.
give's you the best of a 6L6 and the best of an El34.
I tried all 3 types in my Rectoverb adn by far, the KT-77s sounded best.
glad you're digging it. I constantly have a debate in my head on whether or not to keep my Mark IV
or move it and get a Roadster. I love the lead tone I get out of the IV , but the rhythm sound is lacking the balls of a
say..........Recto or my 5150 II. Plus my Mark IV sounds great at low volume, I don't know if a roadster will. :?:

Back