New to the rectifiers and the forum here...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

migs_migeezie

Reaction score
So i just picked up a Rectoverb 50 series 2 and a single rec 50 series 2(two killer deals I couldnt pass up) and I have been learning a lot from this forum so far. Having been a JCM800 guy before the Mesa's are a new world to me. Especially in the eq section. I'm still trying to dial in some good settings but I'm close. Now I have been reading a lot about putting an eq in the loop to tighten up some frequencies but my question is this: Are most of you guys running the EQ pedal in the modded series loop or is it in the parallel loop? I tried to do a search for that topic but it wasnt getting the results I wanted. I want to preserve that killer mesa tone but I still want to tighten some things up so I wasnt sure if I should do the mod or not. Thanks in advance for the help and I'm glad to be a proud new owner of these beauties. :D

Welcome to the Board!

That should work. Just make sure the mix is 100% wet. Or just adjust the Mix til it sounds good for you.

What he said.

I'm not too familiar with the Single Recto series of the family, but I know that doing the serial loop mod to a regular Dual Rec still doesn't make it 100% serial. It effectively makes the loop so that the mix knob is 100% wet all the time...due to a design flaw in the amp, there's still a relatively low "dry" signal being passed at all times. Low enough that it doesn't matter, but still not 100% series.

One of the things to do to tighten up the tone is to run some sort of boost. Most people seem to like a Tubescreamer variant, like the TS-9, or Maxon OD-808. Fulltone OCD and BB Preamp are some others that I've seen used. Basically, run the volume high, and the gain low. It will do wonders.

For the price, you can't beat the Digitech Bad Monkey.

mikey383 said:
Basically, run the volume high, and the gain low. It will do wonders.

As does turning down the bass knob. A lot of people like to run it at 12:00 or above, but even if you lean it back to 9:00 it's still producing a mountain of bottom end.

screamingdaisy said:
mikey383 said:
Basically, run the volume high, and the gain low. It will do wonders.

As does turning down the bass knob. A lot of people like to run it at 12:00 or above, but even if you lean it back to 9:00 it's still producing a mountain of bottom end.

I was speaking of a boost, not the amp...but yeah....dialing back the low end on the amp will help. Rectos have a TON of low end. Don't try to EQ it like a Marshall because it simply will not work.

Thanks. Yeah I am definitely I cant eq it like i used to with my JCM. I started with all knobs at noon and tweaked from there turning each one slightly till I get the sounds I like. I also do boost the front end with a ts-9 and it does tighten things up but I'd like to hear what an eq would sound lik ein the loop. I'm thinking something like the mxr 10 band eq pedal or something.
Another question is I'm looking to pick up a delay to replace my current one which is a line 6 dl4. I've heard that the DL-4's dont play well with mesa's (especially when the mix is maxed on the pedal and the loop is still parallel) and I'm looking at the TC Electronic Nova Repeater. Should I still stick witht he parallel loop on this one? Or would i be better to mod it. Other effects I was thinking to run in my loop would be a phaser and a chorus but they arent as vital since I barely use them in our band.

Welcome to the family, migs. Beside the difference in tone stack structure, you should know two big things about the Rectos.

1) They are woofy. They have a lot of bass overall, but seem to have an unusually high amount of bass in the 200-250Hz range, an overabundance of which is what is known as "mud" in the industry. This worked fine at the beginning of the grunge era, when the Rectos first came out, but now it's a bit of an annoyance to those who want more articulation in the bass notes. This is why everybody talks about "tightening up" the bass on a Recto. The two easiest ways of doing this are to either put a graphic EQ in the effects loop (not before the amp) and set it to cut 4-6db out of the 200Hz, or to put an overdrive of the Tubescreamer variety up front of the amp.

2) They lack mids and harmonic response in the mids, specifically in and around the 800Hz frequency range. This wasn't a problem back in the early 90's, when the mid-scooped sound was all the rage and there was a massive shift away from lead playing in rock music as a whole. Nowadays, though, with more and more guys returning to playing at least some degree of lead, it's a problem. Lack of singing sustain and lack of punch to stand out in the mix during a solo. Fortunately, this is easily rectified (pardon the pun) by the same solutions from problem 1 above (EQ and/or OD), or by adding a clean boost, treble booster, etc. to the pre-amp chain.

Awesome advice. I just picked up an eq pedal this weekend and I plan to start tweaking at rehearals this week. I'm excited to see what sounds I can coax out of this beast. I've played lots of tube amps but never had I met a monster like this. Its fun to learn all the little subtleties this thing has to offer.

Welcome to the board and congrats on the new amp. The Rectos are great amps. Since you got two of them,
you could try using one with EL-34's and the other with 6L6's. These amps respond differently to these two power tubes and you might discover you like EL's as well. If you think you would like more mids, try EL34s. Also, if you can, you might want to try
them in stereo, it sounds awesome.

-AJH

Chris McKinley said:
Welcome to the family, migs. Beside the difference in tone stack structure, you should know two big things about the Rectos.

1) They are woofy. They have a lot of bass overall, but seem to have an unusually high amount of bass in the 200-250Hz range, an overabundance of which is what is known as "mud" in the industry. This worked fine at the beginning of the grunge era, when the Rectos first came out, but now it's a bit of an annoyance to those who want more articulation in the bass notes. This is why everybody talks about "tightening up" the bass on a Recto. The two easiest ways of doing this are to either put a graphic EQ in the effects loop (not before the amp) and set it to cut 4-6db out of the 200Hz, or to put an overdrive of the Tubescreamer variety up front of the amp.

2) They lack mids and harmonic response in the mids, specifically in and around the 800Hz frequency range. This wasn't a problem back in the early 90's, when the mid-scooped sound was all the rage and there was a massive shift away from lead playing in rock music as a whole. Nowadays, though, with more and more guys returning to playing at least some degree of lead, it's a problem. Lack of singing sustain and lack of punch to stand out in the mix during a solo. Fortunately, this is easily rectified (pardon the pun) by the same solutions from problem 1 above (EQ and/or OD), or by adding a clean boost, treble booster, etc. to the pre-amp chain.

I have a question regarding your above points> Is there an easy way to get the amp permanently modded to accomplish the above without needing to run pedals through the loop or in the front?

kramerxxx,

RE: "Is there an easy way to get the amp permanently modded to accomplish the above without needing to run pedals through the loop or in the front?". No, because modding the amp is the least easy way to solve the problem. You would have to re-wire the entire tone stack at minimum, as well as possibly retube the power section to EL34's, depending on taste. It's really very easy in comparison to set up the pedal to do it instead.

Latest posts

Back