need help building rig

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malin

Reaction score
I finally took the plunge and bought an Peavey 6505+. I already have a Mesa Dual Rectifier and a Triaxis and I must say the peavey 6505+ has lots of mid when I compare it with my amp. I'd like to boost the amp. I already have a furman pq3 and a maxon od808.

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/3996/img0283l.jpg

ok here is what i want to do. I want to run both head in my mesa cab. how can i do this. I have a GCX. I'd like to use my eq pre amp for both and my tc1128 after amp. Also, I'd like to be able to use my ISP Decimator pre amp and after both amps. Both head will be used at the same time. Can i also put my g major in there?

He wants to run both heads at the same time...the headbone won't do this.

You'll need to run each head into a stereo input of the cab....that way, each amp will get two speakers in the cab.

You second problem becomes input splitting, ground loops, and phase. I recommend the RJM Y-not for this. It's cheap, and will solve ALL your problems when it comes to running two amps at a time (ground loops, phase, and allows one amp at a time if you'd like that too). It also has midi switching that will work perfectly with the GCX. You could do it with the GCX alone assuming you have enough free loops, but you would definitely have a BAD ground loop, and possible phase cancellation.

On a side note, I'm actually selling my RJM Y-not right now...I'm making changes to my rig, and A/Bing heads rather then running then stereo, so I don't need it. PM me if you're interested.

As for the ISP, it will only work in both amps post preamp if you have the stereo model. Otherwise, you'll need to mod it.

Finally, you might be able to run the G-Major in the loop of both amps, but you'll be introducing another ground loop. I would keep it in one amp, and run it wet/dry.....so even when you're running effects, you still have a dry signal going too...makes for awesome clarity in the rig.

If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to help...feel free to PM me if so!

Eric

Malin said:
I finally took the plunge and bought an Peavey 6505+. I already have a Mesa Dual Rectifier and a Triaxis and I must say the peavey 6505+ has lots of mid when I compare it with my amp. I'd like to boost the amp. I already have a furman pq3 and a maxon od808.

ok here is what i want to do. I want to run both head in my mesa cab. how can i do this. I have a GCX. I'd like to use my eq pre amp for both and my tc1128 after amp. Also, I'd like to be able to use my ISP Decimator pre amp and after both amps. Both head will be used at the same time. Can i also put my g major in there?
I do something simular with my Tverb and my 5150. They go together so well its awesome.

I use this
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lehle-Little-Dual-Amp-Switcher-Guitar-Pedal?sku=150557

I also just gate the guitar before the amps

it is possible, but you´ll get ground hum while combining two amps - that is normal. so isolating one amp is the only solution.
there are different ways to do this and i guess you´ll have to isolate the input signal and the send/return signal or both send and return.
it´s different from amp setup to amp setup - just try what you need.

without any extra little helpers, you can split the input signal with the GCX - as far as i know.
so your noisegate, od and eq should be in three loops before you split the signal, after this, go the the guitar input of the GCX (on front panel), on the back you have guitar out and feed thru (which should be a split).
go to both amps inputs from these two jacks, (now both amps become the same input signal all the time),
if you want a parallel setup, feed both loop send jacks to the g-major inputs (left for one amp, right for the other), after the g-major go back to both amp return jacks.

now you´ll have massive ground humming :mrgreen: - but you run both amps all the time in parallel without using any loop on the GCX :D

if you want to switch the preamp section and run a "normal" stereosetup with preamp a/b option, feed the send out jack of the recto to the input of one loop and the send out of the peavey to the return jack of the same loop. from the loop out, go to the mono-input of the g-major.
from the stereo outputs of the g-major go back to both poweramps.
now if the loop is "off", you have the recto preamp active, if the loop is "on", you have the peavey preamp active - a classic A/B switching - but again you´ll have ground hum.

just check out which setup you like most and after that get an ebtech eliminator for the line-level signals in the loop and a lehle p-split II or teh little dual, depending if you want to switch before the inputs or not.
i´m using the p-split II and i´m very happy with it!

this is very complicated...I'm trying to do the graph but I can't

tell me what you want and i´ll do a graphic for you.
both amps in parallel all the time or an A/B of the preamps with a stereo poweramp setting

Ok...here we go! First off I'll take off the Triaxis from my rack.

I'd like to run both heads in the same time with one rectifier cabinet. I want to run my boost preamp and my ISP Decimator preamp and after amp. We'll leave the G Major and the rest of the stuff out of the rack. I guess we'll use the GCX...

droptrd said:
Malin said:

I do something simular with my Tverb and my 5150. They go together so well its awesome.

I use this
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lehle-Little-Dual-Amp-Switcher-Guitar-Pedal?sku=150557

I did this with my Dual and 5150 too. Sounded amazing. I used a Morley ABY and built a custom switcher to be able to switch both amps at the same time, and a loop volume box for the 5150 since it doesn't have a loop knob.

Ground hum was an issue though.

Basically, you get a 60 Hz hum through the cab. Just a constant buzz. It's not noticeable when you're playing usually, but when you're not playing, you'll know it's there.

I alleviated it by turning off one of the amps when I wasn't playing.

Malin said:
Ok...here we go! First off I'll take off the Triaxis from my rack.

I'd like to run both heads in the same time with one rectifier cabinet. I want to run my boost preamp and my ISP Decimator preamp and after amp. We'll leave the G Major and the rest of the stuff out of the rack. I guess we'll use the GCX...

this will not work! or do you have a stereo ISP unit?
with a normal ISP unit, you could only use it with one amp, as long as you want a parallel setup.

I have the ISP Decimator ProRackG...I dont know if its stereo but right now I'm using it with the DR and Triaxis

here is a graphic how you could setup the rig with the g-major switchable.
i don´t have the ISP in this setup, because you´ll have problems running it with both amps at the same time (only possible with the stereo version)

recto%206505%20setup.jpg

made a little mistake with the green line on loop 4, it should be plugged into the send not the input!

thank you!

I'll try that out! I'll be sending my Decimator to ISP for the mod. I'll also be buying the RJM Y Not. Do I need anything else to make this set up reliable and good?

is your GCX the regular mono version or is it the upgraded stereo version?

i think, besides the Ynot or a Lehle Dual or P-splitII or something like this, you will need a line-isolator, like the ebtech hum eliminator or the palmer transformer, for the fx loop-return cable of one amp to get a quiet rig.

I have no idea about my gcx but the rjm y not has everything...i'll look into what you said

mikey383 said:
droptrd said:
Malin said:

I use this

I did this with my Dual and 5150 too. Sounded amazing. I used a Morley ABY and built a custom switcher to be able to switch both amps at the same time, and a loop volume box for the 5150 since it doesn't have a loop knob.

Ground hum was an issue though.
The Lehle doesnt have this problem. It has an Iso transformer as well as a polarity switch and a ground lift. Its a pretty sweet unit

Latest posts

Back