Can you get the Andy Timmons tone with an Dual Rectifier?

Discussion area for Single, Dual and Trip Rectifers

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

Neptical
Single Recto

Re: Can you get the Andy Timmons tone with an Dual Rectifier?

Post by Neptical » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:05 pm

BRS--not gonna lie, the tone on that clip is pretty nice. Sounds like he was definitely using his BB preamp to smooth it out.
BostonRedSox wrote:Maybe when you had your Single Rectifier you didn't know what you were doing?
As a touring artist, I surely hope I (or anyone helping me out) knew what I was doing. :wink: I just could never get the amp where I thought it should be. Too much experimenting with so many different tubes, guitars, pickups,speakers,etc over the years just led to much frustration of the amp. I was just trying to make it sound like something it wasn't gonna do. It was a lesson much learned. :lol:

~Nep~
Mark III Cream -Red Stripe DRG
Mark III Cream -Purple Stripe DRG
Orange PPC412HP8
PRS Standard 24 Cream
PRS Standard 24 Red
Marshall JCM800 1960A 412

screamingdaisy
Donating Member

Post by screamingdaisy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:06 pm

BostonRedSox wrote:Nope, Dual Rectifier two channel amp.
Nope. Single Rectifier. The solo boost knob gives it away... 2 channel Dual's never had that feature.
Yes, of course there is a boost in there. Timmons has stated that he uses his BB a lot. If you look at the video's comments, it lists the pedals he uses. No need to look at his feet. Sounds pretty good to me, coming from a Dual Rec. Are you sure a Lonestar is world's better?
My point is that his tone is coming from the pedal. He could probably plug it into pretty much anything with a clean channel and get a similar sound.
Ignore the hype and trust your ears. Play more, buy less = better tone.

BostonRedSox
Mark IV

Post by BostonRedSox » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:10 pm

:lol:

Yeah, I hear ya Neptical. I found this clip and was pretty floored. I think Timmons copped some stuff from this amp that is pretty incredible. Definitely a pedal is used in there, and if it is the BB, well then I'm even more impressed with that pedal as a boost.

I suck at dialing in amps, and have contemplated getting another Mesa to make up for what I feel my rig is lacking. At this point, I am seriously contemplating just going the pedal route to get some of the different gain responses I want to find with my Roadster. Getting tone is a pain, but watching this video is almost comical to the normal "can a Mesa Recto do lead sounds" argument. Yes, there is a pedal in there, but the overall tone is still the amp too. It sound pretty damn good.

BostonRedSox
Mark IV

Post by BostonRedSox » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:11 pm

If his tone is coming from the pedals, then why do people get sucked into the Lonestars? Seems like an expensive alternative, when you could get a great solid-state clean amp.

BostonRedSox
Mark IV

Post by BostonRedSox » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:12 pm

I've heard and read so many people talk about his tone and how it is the Lonestar that makes it. If it is mostly pedals, then those people should really figure this out, so they don't waste their money! 8)

Neptical
Single Recto

Post by Neptical » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:15 pm

screamingdaisy wrote: My point is that his tone is coming from the pedal. He could probably plug it into pretty much anything with a clean channel and get a similar sound.
+1 100%

BRS,

You sound like you would be a proud owner of a Mark V. :D

~Nep~
Mark III Cream -Red Stripe DRG
Mark III Cream -Purple Stripe DRG
Orange PPC412HP8
PRS Standard 24 Cream
PRS Standard 24 Red
Marshall JCM800 1960A 412

KH Guitar Freak
Single Recto

Post by KH Guitar Freak » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:13 am

I saw an old video on Youtube once whereby Timmons played with Dual Rectos. Also don't forget, Timmons did use those Mavericks as well...

ivsaken
Mark II

Re: Can you get the Andy Timmons tone with an Dual Rectifier

Post by ivsaken » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:39 pm

Well this thread just talked me into keeping my Roadster and BB Preamp comp and just play with it more.

SonVolt
Mark III

Post by SonVolt » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:51 am

Not sure if everyone is aware of this but Andy Timmons did not use Mesa Boogies on the Resolution CD, he recorded the whole album with Marshalls. He only uses the Boogies for his live rig.

KH Guitar Freak
Single Recto

Post by KH Guitar Freak » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:17 pm

SonVolt wrote:Not sure if everyone is aware of this but Andy Timmons did not use Mesa Boogies on the Resolution CD, he recorded the whole album with Marshalls. He only uses the Boogies for his live rig.
He did use the Lone Stars at the very least AFAIK...

guitarrhinoceros
Mark II

Post by guitarrhinoceros » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:04 am

No way. Timmons only used Marshall's for Resolution. The Mesa's came about after the recording. On his latests release (The Beatles' cover album), the Stiletto's made the recording, but not the Lonestars.

KH Guitar Freak
Single Recto

Post by KH Guitar Freak » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:16 am

guitarrhinoceros wrote:No way. Timmons only used Marshall's for Resolution. The Mesa's came about after the recording. On his latests release (The Beatles' cover album), the Stiletto's made the recording, but not the Lonestars.
Interesting. I must have the dates mixed up then. Regardless, I've watched videos of him using Dual Rectifiers for clinics. Sounds like good old Timmons to me... 8)

ivsaken
Mark II

Post by ivsaken » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:27 pm

KH Guitar Freak wrote:
guitarrhinoceros wrote:No way. Timmons only used Marshall's for Resolution. The Mesa's came about after the recording. On his latests release (The Beatles' cover album), the Stiletto's made the recording, but not the Lonestars.
Interesting. I must have the dates mixed up then. Regardless, I've watched videos of him using Dual Rectifiers for clinics. Sounds like good old Timmons to me... 8)
Agreed. Just shows you how much is really in the fingers.