How is YOUR Roadster set up?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harem_theater

Reaction score
As the title questions, just wondering how you have your Roadster set up channel-wise.

Just looking to get ideas for other ways i can get meat out of this beast. Love the tone but because there are so many options, i feel like i'm not using it to it's potential.

Here's mine:
Channel 1 - Tweed/Diode/100W with the gain around 10:30. No dirt, just a nice compression and spank.

Channel 2 - Brit/Rectifier/50W with the gain about 2:30-3:00. Set for a cool lo-fi crunchy tone which sounds drastically different to my channel 3/4 settings in a good way. Kind of like the intro to Fall Out Boy's 'The Take Over, The Breaks Over' but with a bit more gain.

Channel 3 - Modern/Diode/100W with gain at 1:00 and mids fairly scooped (say 9:00 or a little less), bass pretty much flat out and treble a little over noon. A lot of low end i know but using a slanted Orange cab it stays pretty **** tight so i don't really noticed any extra fat coming through.

Channel 4 - Set pretty much the same as Channel 3 But with mids up to 2:00, gain a little lower and Rectifiers instead of diodes for that slightly sloppier feel.

Solos are a step on the solo switch and a step on my Klinger Custom OD.

I find this setup to be pretty versatile since I have two flavours of high gain which each can have a solo setting and i can also throw the OD in front of channel 2 for a real sloppy grunge tone.

So what does everyone else have?

first of all, i run EH EL34s in my roadster, all channels set to 100 watt and diodes, and it is setup like this:
green: gain full in tweed mode for a ac/dc kind of crunch sound
yellow: set to "fat" with the gain ?? so that it is clean with nice compression but not clipping
orange: vintage mode gain around 1-2 o´clock
red: modern mode gain around 3 o´clock, this is my main leadsound, very singing and good sustain but output level set the same as the other channels.
for solos i push the level with the solo-output knob
i´m using old marshall cabs with V30s and G12T75s mixed.

I am a bit generic in that I really enjoy the manual's settings. I use the Recto Modern setting for channel 4, Purring Blues on channel 3, Fat Rhythm for channel 2, and the Elastic Tweed setting from the Road King manual for channel 1. The Elastic Tweed setting is a very Fender Tweed clean sound that is extremely authentic sounding. I use these settings and tweak them a bit to fit my guitar, cab, and ears.

I also do what everyone else advises against in channel 4 modern -- I crank the hell out of the presence and pull the gain back to around noon. This is a bit bright, but not at all harsh to my ears. Cranked, I really like how cutting octave licks and quick punky fills sound on this channel.

Mine is as follows:
I am running the stock 6L6's w/ Chinese GT 12AX7's in V1,V2,V3 and the stock Mesa 12AX7's in the rest.

Channel 1 - Tweed/Recto/100W with Gain: 1:00 Presence: 1:00 Bass: 12:00 Mid: 2:00 Treble: 12:30
Channel 2 - Fat/Diode/100W with the Gain: 9:30 Presence: 1:30 Bass: 9:00 Mid: 11:30 Treble: 11:30 Reverb: 2:00
Channel 3 - Vintage/Recto/50W with Gain: 11:30 Presence: 12:00 Bass: 11:30 Mid: 2:00 Treble: 12:30
Channel 4 - Modern/Diode/50W with Gain: 1:00 Presence: 1:30 Bass: 9:00 Mid: 10:30 Treble: 1:30

Latest posts

Back