Roadster needs more gain!!

Discussion area for Single, Dual and Trip Rectifers

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

harem_theater
Mark I

Roadster needs more gain!!

Post by harem_theater » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:26 am

Hey guys.

I'm loving my Roadster head so far (about 2 months), although channels 1-3 are fantastic, i feel i need a little bit more gain on channel 4. My lead tone has always had an over the top gain vibe about it (ala steve vai) to the point when playing at rehearsal volume, i get feedback when i stop playing on channel 4. It's just the way i like my lead touch sensitivity.

Now, i know there are mods here to get more gain and stilletto voicing out of channel 2 brit by swapping out pots, but is there any way i can get a slither more gain out of channel 4 by doing this? i guess i want that tubescreamer boost without the pedal.

Any takers?
Thanks

Matt
Ibanez RG2120x, RG570, RG7420, RG1570, UV777bk, S5527QFX, SV5470F
Mesa Rectifier Roadster, Rocktron/Egnater TOL100, Sherlock FatHead, Bad Cat Hot Cat30r
Orange Slant 4x12, Mesa Recto 2x12 Horizontal

UnderJollyRoger
Mark III

Re: Roadster needs more gain!!

Post by UnderJollyRoger » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:54 am

Put the Gain on 10 ;)

Seriously, where do you have it set ? I can't imagine one would put it on - let's say - seven or eight and not have enough gain ...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13 ... -paper-rpg

Please have a look and support or share

harem_theater
Mark I

Post by harem_theater » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:19 am

haha i knew someone would say that. It IS on ten and not hot enough. I'm running Dimarzio Tone Zones, Steve's specials and Air Nortons and my volume is up pretty loud. the notes just feel a little choked and i like the feel of effortlessly tapping. I'm thinking of a flat boost pedal or an overdrive pedal in front but i'd rather just squeeze more out of the amp.
Mesa Rectifier Roadster, Rocktron/Egnater TOL100, Sherlock FatHead, Bad Cat Hot Cat30r

Chris McKinley
Mark IV

Post by Chris McKinley » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:12 am

Bad news....the Recto series simply isn't capable of it. It's funny, for all the high-gain reputation that the Rectos have had since their creation, they really aren't all that high-gain compared to a) certain other high-gain amps, and b) what we 80's shredders used to call high gain.

As if that weren't enough, the Rectos' design is such that there is simultaneously too much gain on tap to be useable in some frequencies and nowhere near enough in others. For example, putting the gain on 10 results in what is, to most ears, a completely unacceptable level of mud in the bass frequencies and an unacceptable loss of definition in the treble frequencies. At the same time, even with the gain on 10, the amp still doesn't produce enough mids and mid harmonics to produce even-order feedback with pick attack alone the way modded Marshalls or Rectos with modded Tubescreamers in front can.

Raw gain often becomes misunderstood in the pursuit of both high-gain lead and rhythm tones. Huge guitar sound is more often a function of frequency contrast and track layering for rhythm, and harmonic content and sustain for lead. Raw gain plays a vital role, but it's not sufficient in and of itself.

espboogie123
Mark III

Post by espboogie123 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:01 am

--
Last edited by espboogie123 on Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
PRS Tremonti 10-Top
PRS Singlecut Trem
Mesa Roadster Head w/2x12 Recto Vertical
Line 6 Relay G90
Digitech GSP1101 & RP1000
Voodoo Labs GCX & GCP
Maxon OD808 & ISP Decimator
Mini Amp Gismo

RoadKinger483
Mark III

Post by RoadKinger483 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:19 am

Why don't you try a clean boost pedal to icrease the output of your pickups. I use the xotic RC Boost pedal on my Roadster sometimes. Its tranparent enough on the cleans to where it leaves the tone unalteredand adds power to the tone but pushed hard enough in channels 3 and 4 for that extra output and sizzle. Im running vintage output pickups on my PRS Custom 22 and it loves the combination. I've tried the pedal with many other guitars as well and it handles them all beutifully. If your on a budget a seymour duncan pickup booster will do the triack also :wink:
Mesa Tremoverb Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab

screamingdaisy
Donating Member

Post by screamingdaisy » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:57 am

Tubescreamer. It adds mids and compression that simply turning up the gain doesn't accomplish.

It's why dudes like Vai - dudes who have their own custom built amps - still use pedals for their lead boost.
Ignore the hype and trust your ears. Play more, buy less = better tone.

MrMarkIII
Dual Recto

Post by MrMarkIII » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:10 am

Practice, practice, practice. :D

fluff191
Donating Member

Post by fluff191 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:53 pm

Time for a boost! Maxon OD808 is great for that.
Schecter Guitars | Kemper Profiling Amplifier | Superior Drummer | REAPER

Videos: http://www.youtube.com/fluff191
Tunes: http://www.blackmetalbicycle.com

harem_theater
Mark I

Post by harem_theater » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:52 pm

haha yeah i guess you're all right....dunno about MrMarkIII, though haha :wink:

I just hate fiddling with pedals and such. I came from a TriAxis based rack with a Line 6 Spider Valve mkII (VERY good amp for the price btw) to the roadster which i'm glad i did. I'd forgotten what a 'real' AMP feels like with instant response and no latency. But at the same time i was spoiled with all that gain and MIDI controlling.

Guess it's time to start MIDI'ing up this rig too.

So you folks think the Ibanez/Maxon TS is the better route? I've even thought of trying some boss pedals but I'm pretty sure i only like that idea because i can mod them for fun without spending a lot of money on the initial product (cheap pedals).

Chris McKinley
Mark IV

Post by Chris McKinley » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:29 pm

Depends on what sound you're going for and whether or not you are wanting to either get a modded pedal or do your own mods, or whether you'd prefer to buy a stock pedal. I generally build better quality stuff than Maxon or Ibanez, so for me the question is between whether I want to mod a stock pedal or build one from scratch.

There are also different categories of effects that can be considered for the job. Overdrives are not the same as clean boosts, which are different from EQ's, which are different still from treble boosters. Then there are always basic compressors. Plus, you can mix and match any of these for even more possibilities.

b0nkersx
Mark III

Post by b0nkersx » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:14 pm

harem_theater wrote:haha yeah i guess you're all right....dunno about MrMarkIII, though haha :wink:

I just hate fiddling with pedals and such. I came from a TriAxis based rack with a Line 6 Spider Valve mkII (VERY good amp for the price btw) to the roadster which i'm glad i did. I'd forgotten what a 'real' AMP feels like with instant response and no latency. But at the same time i was spoiled with all that gain and MIDI controlling.

Guess it's time to start MIDI'ing up this rig too.

So you folks think the Ibanez/Maxon TS is the better route? I've even thought of trying some boss pedals but I'm pretty sure i only like that idea because i can mod them for fun without spending a lot of money on the initial product (cheap pedals).
If you want a cheap boss pedal, the Super Overdrive is a good look. I use a Maxon 808 and Fulltone OCD for boosts, but I really like the Maxon in particular.

espboogie123
Mark III

Post by espboogie123 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:08 am

+1 Maxon od808
PRS Tremonti 10-Top
PRS Singlecut Trem
Mesa Roadster Head w/2x12 Recto Vertical
Line 6 Relay G90
Digitech GSP1101 & RP1000
Voodoo Labs GCX & GCP
Maxon OD808 & ISP Decimator
Mini Amp Gismo

joe web
Mark III

Post by joe web » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:33 am

more gain needed on the roadster?
i use the red channel set to modern as my lead sound. gain turned up to 3 o´clock and this is enough gain for leads.
but too much gain for a tight rhythm playing.

while using the orange channel set to vintage for leads (gain at 1 o´clock), i push it with an MXR ZW-44 overdrive.
love both lead-sounds. the red channel is a more singing, warm midrange lead and the orange with zw-44 is more cutting through with aggressive mids and highs and reminds me more of the 80´s metal solo-sounds.
Joe´s Band: Risky Whisky; Morbid Sky

Rkorn
Mark III

Post by Rkorn » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:05 am

Does the Mark V has more gain than the Roadster??