Road King II, Roadster, Dual Rec?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my dilemma is this:
- I want the dual rectifier modern gain setting, so I assume that the Road King II and Roadster are voiced the same in that area. is that correct?
- I would like to get decent clean tones. How do the cleans compare of the three? Are the cleans in the Roadster the same as the Road King II? How would you characterize the solo head clean vs a fender clean?

I THINK the RK and Roadster are the same amp minus a couple of extras that the RK has - cabinet switching and progressive linkage... $800 for those options from the Roadster.

I recently switched from the stock 6L6s to EL34s in mine and really like the tones so with that being said... IF I EVER got rid of the Roadster I'd be "upgrading" to the RK.

I think all the channels are great it just depends on your personal want out of each of them.

thejay - why will you move up to the RK? do you need the Prog linkage and cabinet switching? or is there something in the tone that is appealing over the Roadster?

The Roadster is the ultimate Mesa IMO.

The cleans are really beautiful.

The Modern High gain is a little darker and smoother than a regular rectifier. I like it...some might find the regular recto more aggressive...I disagree....it's just a different kind of aggressive.

I've owned 2 channel rectos, 3 channel rectos, and I ditched them all for the Roadster.

Never played a Road King...

The Road King II and Roadster are identical bar those extras others have mentioned. If you don't need it, you don't have to get the Road King II. It's heavier, and costs more...

olcottke said:
thejay - why will you move up to the RK? do you need the Prog linkage and cabinet switching? or is there something in the tone that is appealing over the Roadster?

It's only b/c I could use 6L6s and EL34s for specific channels. I have no need for cabinet switching. When I first looked at seriously buying them I was kind of in a short turn-around situation and needed the amp asap and I found a shop with the Roadster about an hr away (RK was hrs away). I went and played the Roadster and fell in love; bought it on the spot. Never had a chance to play the RK, BUT at the time cabinet switching I didn't need and still do not. The ability to switch between the power tubes I actually see a use for right now where as I did not before. Even if they had both when I bought the Roadster I probably would have bought it anyway b/c I did not see the use for those other options and it's $800 more... Primarly used all 6L6 power tubes and never used EL34s until now.

I do not regret buying the Roadster vs the RK by no means and I like how everything sounds BUT if I could get really picky I'd go with the RK at this moment in time if funds allowed, etc...

Roadster has a fantastic sound and the RK is the same with more options... get the one that has the options you want/need for what your wallet allows. :D

I never did understand Mesa's logic in the pricing of the RK II vs. The Roadster...

By that I mean that the RK is certainly worth the $2800 they ask for it, but I feel it is too much more expensive than the Roadster. I think Mesa would sell many more RK's if the price of the Roadster was a little more comparable... like $2300... and here is why.

When you examine the couple of extra options that you get for a whopping $800, it will make most anyone question it. Now on the opposite side of that... compare a 3 channel DR to the Roadster... the price difference in those two great amps is only $200 and the Roadster has an extra channel,(which is worth at least $200 if you ask me) tube reverb, power options, brit mode... the differences in options on the two amps barely put them in the same ball park.

From what I understand, the only difference in the RK and the Roadster is those 2 options... they are really cool options, but honestly, not worth the $800. I say buy a Roadster and a set of EL34s to have for recording purposes. Because live, the only person that is going to be able to tell you aren't running 6L6s is you.

echoes420 said:
I never did understand Mesa's logic in the pricing of the RK II vs. The Roadster...

By that I mean that the RK is certainly worth the $2800 they ask for it, but I feel it is too much more expensive than the Roadster. I think Mesa would sell many more RK's if the price of the Roadster was a little more comparable... like $2300... and here is why.

When you examine the couple of extra options that you get for a whopping $800, it will make most anyone question it. Now on the opposite side of that... compare a 3 channel DR to the Roadster... the price difference in those two great amps is only $200 and the Roadster has an extra channel,(which is worth at least $200 if you ask me) tube reverb, power options, brit mode... the differences in options on the two amps barely put them in the same ball park.

From what I understand, the only difference in the RK and the Roadster is those 2 options... they are really cool options, but honestly, not worth the $800. I say buy a Roadster and a set of EL34s to have for recording purposes. Because live, the only person that is going to be able to tell you aren't running 6L6s is you.

Those - and the 2nd FX loop. That's the one thing I might potentially miss (but not worth the extra $1k CDN). The downside is another button and 3" more on the footswitch. The Roadster footswitch is lots big enough. I look at a Mk V footswitch and wonder a) how much and b) will it work without a bunch of mods.

Agree with your take on their pricing though. The Roadster seemed like a good deal by Mesa standards. No regrets or buyer remorse here.

Cheers!

echoes420 said:

I agree on the pricing.

Wow, this is way old but have to chime in.

The complexity of the roadking's circuitry is the reason for the price difference. The progressive linkage which allows combinations of the 6L6s and EL34s places the roadking into a different dimension of complexity. Then take into account the dual effect loops and choice of speaker outputs. That's a lot of complexity!

Mesa is a boutique amp manufacturer. I consider the roadking more of the affluent, tone seekers amp. The roadster, much more pragmatic: great tone, less time tweaking. Roadking is for rich guys or pros with techs! That may be too extreme. The roadking is awesome. Choose it if you live for tonal flexibility. Totally in a class by itself from an engineering stand point.

That said, a roadster may fit you better. Personally, I'm more of a mark v guy, but between the roadster and roadking, I would probably go roadster. However, all of these amps are marvels of sonic engineering! And, unlike many other competitors, they are tough. They are all great choices.

I have the Roadster and the tonal possibilities are pretty amazing - the 2nd, 3rd etc loop can be achieved through a midi set up W/ channel switching system and 4 cable method - like TC electronics G-system, Voodoo labs or put together your own which is what I would like to do

I owned a DR Roadster and its freaking amazing... dont know what would I accomplish with the extra loop and the progrissive linkage but the 6L6's sound amazing...
what i dont like is that blanket sound on top of the vintage and modern models on 3 & 4 channels... dont know what to do with them... otherwise the amps is freaking amazing and versatile is the word that defines it

I own a Roadster and have played a Road King II enough to know my way around. Since we are playing with pretend money I would buy both. Here's why:

The Roadster may be the better sounding of the two amps, though by a margin that honestly makes almost no difference (I'm referring to the 2x12 combo for each amp). It's complex enough to keep you interested but won't scare you away. Once you are familiar with the controls and how to dial in the tone you want (doesn't happen right away) it really is a "plug in and play amp."

The Road King II is the kind of amp you almost have to program. Does it sound amazing? Yes! But there are some many tonal options its hard to focus in on a single tone you really like. Thats one reason I think the Roadster may sound better overall; 4 great sounding channels each with 3 modes vs. 4 great sounding channels each with 3 modes, 6 power tube options per channel, 3 speaker selection options per channel, etc.

At the same time, this enormous complexity could keep you occupied for months if not years exploring its full capabilities. The reason this is a benefit and not an annoyance is because nearly every tone you dial in is genuinely usable. Its not like a digital modeler where 90% of the presets are never used, from what I've tried with the Road King II every sound has had potential. I think it just takes a really long time to figure out what tones you want to use.

For live use I think the Roadster would be more practical, for studio use I think the Road King II would be the only amp you'd ever need.

Given To Fly said:
Since we are playing with pretend money I would buy both.

I like your style. I would use the roadster at my rehearsal space a keep the Road King at home to tweak on a regular basis.

I have an RK1 and it is one of the best sounding rect's myself and others have heard. Really you do not spend much time dialing it in, most people will go with the traditional four 6L6's with one cab and one loop. personally I use the four 6L6's on every channel except channel 2 which I have dialed in for a brit sound, on that chanell I use two of each kind of power tube.

The RK is really not that difficult and it is great having all those added options if you want to use them for recording etc..

Given To Fly said:
I own a Roadster and have played a Road King II enough to know my way around. Since we are playing with pretend money I would buy both. Here's why:

The Roadster may be the better sounding of the two amps, though by a margin that honestly makes almost no difference (I'm referring to the 2x12 combo for each amp). It's complex enough to keep you interested but won't scare you away. Once you are familiar with the controls and how to dial in the tone you want (doesn't happen right away) it really is a "plug in and play amp."

The Road King II is the kind of amp you almost have to program. Does it sound amazing? Yes! But there are some many tonal options its hard to focus in on a single tone you really like. Thats one reason I think the Roadster may sound better overall; 4 great sounding channels each with 3 modes vs. 4 great sounding channels each with 3 modes, 6 power tube options per channel, 3 speaker selection options per channel, etc.

At the same time, this enormous complexity could keep you occupied for months if not years exploring its full capabilities. The reason this is a benefit and not an annoyance is because nearly every tone you dial in is genuinely usable. Its not like a digital modeler where 90% of the presets are never used, from what I've tried with the Road King II every sound has had potential. I think it just takes a really long time to figure out what tones you want to use.

For live use I think the Roadster would be more practical, for studio use I think the Road King II would be the only amp you'd ever need.

Back