The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Roadster lag fix
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:43 am 
Mark I

I always have my reverb switched on, and didn't realize it was off the other night at band practice. We were playing LOUD.. all of a sudden I had these 2-4 second lags of pure silence in between channel switches. I just about lost my mind thinking I had pushed my MESA roadster too hard.

I hope this really fixes the problem, cause I've got a gig this weekend. Haven't tested it out yet. :?

Jackson Kelly KE-3 Pro
Crybaby, Boss Chorus Ensemble, Boss Noise Gate, Digitech Delay.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:18 pm 
Bottle Rocket

I've got the same problem on a Rect-o-verb...The reverb switching always have a 2 second delay...it's lake a fade in effect.

Do you know if its normal on this particular model?

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:55 am 
Bottle Rocket

If anyone can help me confirm or deny what I'm about to tell you I would be grateful. So would a lot of other owners, I suspect.

My Roadster lags badly when it's hot. I played what amounted to an outdoor gig in Texas last weekend & got 3-5 second lag after the first set.
So I bought a heat gun.

If I point the heat gun at the mute circuit bits I can get the collector voltage of the driving transistor (6426P) to drop from 11-12V down to 1V even while the base of the transistor is pulled down with the 10K resistor. Somewhere around 4-5V the muting will kick in. I pulled all the pieces around the transistor & tested them for heat stability. They are all good so I'm left with the transistor.

What I think is happening is that as the transistor gets hot it pulls more collector current & gets the collector voltage dangerously close to the 5V threshold. Once the mute is triggered & then released back to "cutoff" there is not enough voltage available on the collector to release the jfets until one or more of the caps in the muting circuit charge back up. Interestingly, there is a 2uf2 cap charging through a 2M2 resistor that should take about 4.8 seconds to charge. This corresponds nicely with how long my mute lag lasts.

Is there a better transistor to use? (I am not an EE...)

I'm going to find a heatsink to fit onto the transistor & see if that will be enough to stabilize it. Failing that, I'm going to devise some kind of venting. Maybe a grill in the bottom of the case or something.

Anyway, if anyone wants to help me out in establishing the root cause that would be great.
thanks.
Dave

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:46 am 
Mark II

starrsound wrote:
If anyone can help me confirm or deny what I'm about to tell you I would be grateful. So would a lot of other owners, I suspect.

My Roadster lags badly when it's hot. I played what amounted to an outdoor gig in Texas last weekend & got 3-5 second lag after the first set.
So I bought a heat gun.

If I point the heat gun at the mute circuit bits I can get the collector voltage of the driving transistor (6426P) to drop from 11-12V down to 1V even while the base of the transistor is pulled down with the 10K resistor. Somewhere around 4-5V the muting will kick in. I pulled all the pieces around the transistor & tested them for heat stability. They are all good so I'm left with the transistor.

What I think is happening is that as the transistor gets hot it pulls more collector current & gets the collector voltage dangerously close to the 5V threshold. Once the mute is triggered & then released back to "cutoff" there is not enough voltage available on the collector to release the jfets until one or more of the caps in the muting circuit charge back up. Interestingly, there is a 2uf2 cap charging through a 2M2 resistor that should take about 4.8 seconds to charge. This corresponds nicely with how long my mute lag lasts.

Is there a better transistor to use? (I am not an EE...)

I'm going to find a heatsink to fit onto the transistor & see if that will be enough to stabilize it. Failing that, I'm going to devise some kind of venting. Maybe a grill in the bottom of the case or something.

Anyway, if anyone wants to help me out in establishing the root cause that would be great.
thanks.
Dave

Hi Dave

Read this:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=37594&start=45
scroll down to my update post. I think you're on to something!

Plus I have the reverb on all the time so the lag is totally gone!

nicke

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over
-F.Zappa

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:40 am 
Mark I

This is good to know for sure. I've still been struggling with "is my amp going to die" stress during gigs and practices since last summer! Guess I need to take it into my local MESA tech and tell him the specifics I've read here and on the other topic here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=37594&start=45

Thanks c.t.d-nicke and starrsound!

Jackson Kelly KE-3 Pro
Crybaby, Boss Chorus Ensemble, Boss Noise Gate, Digitech Delay.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:27 am 
Mark II

Hello!
New Roadster user here.
So far very happy. Was gonna buy Mark IV but turned out I was not a Mark guy…

Well, I must say that despite having reverb on I still experience lag while switching between channels and also an audible tone change (drop/suck) when switching loop on.
Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem?

Thanx.

Orville by Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender Classic Player Strat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:58 pm 
Mark II

New Road King owner here. and yes I had lag issues until idialed in the reverb on each channel and left it on!
Interesting...

GMP Korina V
Music Man Silhouette Special

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:01 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Thanks for the great tip

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:47 am 
Mark I

I'm experiencing a lag with switching as well. Unfortunately I don't have the footswitch and use a G-System to change channels.

Is there any way of keeping the reverb switched in or minimising the lag with this set up?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:24 am 
Mark I

I Have a Roadster combo, sometimes got the lag sometimes dont, I will check this workaround.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:52 am 
Donating Member

themightyjay wrote:
I'm experiencing a lag with switching as well. Unfortunately I don't have the footswitch and use a G-System to change channels.

Is there any way of keeping the reverb switched in or minimising the lag with this set up?

Kind of a late reply... But...

When the foot switch is disconnected the reverb is always on by default.

The lag when using the G-System is most likely from the relays in the G-System. I found that within the G-System some relays were faster than others and experimented using different ones until I achieved the fastest switching.

| Les Paul | McCarty | CE22 | SC245 |
| D800 | Dual Rectifier | Electra Dyne | Rectoverb:25 | Strategy Eight:88 |
| Powerhouse 410 | Recto 1x12, 2x12, 4x12 | Subway 112, 115 |

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:25 pm 
Dual Recto

I have had my Roadster for a little over a month now. I was uncertain why such the big deal on 15 to 30 ms. I was unaware that most of you hare seeing 1 to 5 seconds of delay. That is not good. I have tried to run the amp with the Reverb off, I get only approximately 30ms of switching lag. With the Reverb on, it is much less but the ramp up on the reverb is more annoying. I will have to take watch and see what becomes of this for a longer duration of use. So far I do not have any switching issues like those reported.

Mk III (blue stripe), Mark IVb-WB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:20 am 
Mark III

Has Mesa fixed this? They quickly corrected the JP-2C with its channel/loop issue.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:11 pm 
Bottle Rocket

So I have a few questions about the pops that people say can be fix by cycling through the channels in stand by mode. I using my roadster with the G System in the 4 cable method with a RJM mini amp gizmo and the Mesa RRN cable. I tried turning my amp on, leaving it in stand by and cycling through the channels using the mini amp gizmo but I still get pops. When I turn on my amp it's in channel one and I cycle through the channels until I'm back at one then I take it out of stand by. Is that what i'm supposed to do? I don't see any difference.

I also notice a bigger pop when going from CH 2,3 or 4 to CH 1. In order to have CH 1 loud enough without it breaking up I'm engaging the solo on that channel. Giving it some additional volume to compete with the other channels. The popping sound is driving me crazy and I can't figure out how to get rid of it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.