The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:57 pm 
Mark II

Silverwulf wrote:
No, this is actually another Recto... :lol: I gave up trying to keep my signature up to date. I'll update it again when I settle on a few amps. I've got 4 Rectos downstairs at the moment.

The outputs lack consistency. The older Rectos do feature a 16-8/16-8/4/4 configuration and later models have a 16/8/4/4. However, the Rev F Triple (from late '92) has the later 16/8/4/4 configuration and the older 16-8/16-8/4/4 configuration was still scattered on Rectos into as late as early '95 that I've seen.

:shock: I suck at assumptions. The end.

But if this amp has the distortion of a rev C, and the cleans of a rev G, then wouldn't this be close the the perfect amp? Then again, the cleans on the rev G aren't much to brag about either, but they are definitely better than rev C's.

What about the tranny numbers? Do they match the "pre-500" (pre-2500, whatever you want to call it) transformers?

Also, are you interested in selling? :lol: You have 4 rectos and I have 1 blown one that I just sold haha

ESP Deluxe H-1001 w/ EMG 81 & 85

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:36 am 
Donating Member

jtxdriggers wrote:
:shock: I suck at assumptions. The end.

But if this amp has the distortion of a rev C, and the cleans of a rev G, then wouldn't this be close the the perfect amp? Then again, the cleans on the rev G aren't much to brag about either, but they are definitely better than rev C's.

What about the tranny numbers? Do they match the "pre-500" (pre-2500, whatever you want to call it) transformers?

Haha, never really thought about it in those terms, but I guess a Rev C type OD and Rev G type clean prob would be about as good as it gets for a 2 Channel Recto.

Transformers are standard Rev G. Going to call Mesa today and see what I can figure out.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:15 pm 
Donating Member

Well, general customer service yielded no extra info. Spoke with a rep, told him the scenario, and he kept saying "It must be an older revision when they were transitioning to G," meaning a Rev F or so. I told him it wasn't an F, it was indeed a G, and it was made a good 700-800 units into Rev G. The transition to G and parallel loops had long since happened. But, he just kept insisting it must be an "older model" and also said their records back then weren't very good.

So, he was basically no help... :lol: I'll just call back and talk to Mike B or someone next time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:48 pm 
Mark III

Silverwulf wrote:
Oh, sorry about that. If you notice, the "Pre-500" chassis have one difference back they were first produced. If you look under the "Orange Channel Gain" selector switch, under the "Clean Rhythm" side...the "Pre-500" have the additional screening that says "Channel Volume 7-10." This was dropped on the later chassis after they tweaked the revisions and equalized the volumes. The chassis on R-003501 features that notation (as seen on the last pic).

Going to plug in this evening. Interested to see how it plays.

I'm pretty sure my rev F has this.

If it's a rev G board, OT, and PT, I don't really understand how it's going to sound any different?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:17 am 
Donating Member

Kung-Fool wrote:
I'm pretty sure my rev F has this.

If it's a rev G board, OT, and PT, I don't really understand how it's going to sound any different?

Interesting. Neither of my current Rev F's have this, and I don't recall my previous ones having it either. I could totally see then still having left over chassis from the earlier revisions and still using them up for earlier F's though. Anyone else with an F have this text on their chassis?

Just because it's a Rev G board doesn't mean it was wired up exactly as a stock G. There's no rationale for a G that's 700+ units into production to have a factory serial loop and be built into an older chassis to exist either, but it does. I can't explain it. It throws us all for a loop. Mesa was pretty adamant that they would not have taken any special order at that time. When I asked if it could have been some deviant special order for an artist, they said it was possible. I'm gonna call Mike B to see if he can shed some light on it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:30 pm 
Mark II

What are the codes on the transformers?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:54 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Hello, I'm new on the boards but was also reading from time to time since obviously i like mesa amps and have a few.

Just wanted to say that my 1993 triple rectifier is also a Revision G with a factory serial loop. From the looks it's the same as the 1992 models. OT is different from my 1992 racktifier which has a MarkIII one.

The sound of both is close, I'm under the impression that the sound of the racktifier is slightly smoother

1992 Mesa Dual Rectifier #431
1992 Mesa Blackface/Chrome Dual Racktifier #851
1993 Mesa Blackface/Chrome Triple Rectifier #3301
2005 Engl Fireball
1991 Marshall JCM900 2500MKIII
2008 Marshall JCM800KK

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:53 pm 
Donating Member

Awesome! A few quick questions...what trannies do you have in the Triple? I'm curious to know if it's the same as in my Rev F Triple or if they had changed by then. Also, do you have "Channel Volume 7-10" written under your clean channel selector switch?

Your '92 Racktifier is actually a Rev F, so that will make a difference in tone.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:28 pm 
Mark II

Just throwing this out there...

On my newly acquired rev F dual rec, the "Clean Rhythm" phrase has a set of parentheses under it. It is obvious that the phrase "Channel Volume 7-10" was once inside the parentheses, but it looks like it's been scraped off, however NONE of any of the other writing on the chassis is even faded. Did Mesa scrape this phrase off of the amp intentionally?

For some reason, I faintly remember my old rev F having the same empty parentheses as well, but I'll have to talk to the new owner to find out for sure.

ESP Deluxe H-1001 w/ EMG 81 & 85

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:17 pm 
Bottle Rocket

No such phrases under the clean rhythm switch of the triple rec. Trannie is different from my racktifier. The racktifier has the phrase under the switch.

The front:

1992 Mesa Dual Rectifier #431
1992 Mesa Blackface/Chrome Dual Racktifier #851
1993 Mesa Blackface/Chrome Triple Rectifier #3301
2005 Engl Fireball
1991 Marshall JCM900 2500MKIII
2008 Marshall JCM800KK

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:45 pm 
Bottle Rocket

I just came across this thread and had to mark it! I have a 93 2CH Dual Rec that have these traits:

Leather wrapped shell

Diamond plate grille(non-black) w/brown panel

Serial loop

Non-detachable power cord

EIA606 transformer which is apparently MarkIII

CH Sel orange to red switch on back with no 7-10
Slave level and send/mix knobs are much smaller knobs than the black metal loop select metal knob

...And the really weird thing about this one is that the serial # to this one is in the 3400s!

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:56 pm 
Donating Member

This must be thread resurrection day, haha.

@ axedog - Sounds like you have a transitional Rev G like mine with a factory serial loop. Probably rarest among 2 channel Rectos.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:10 am 
Mark IV

Maybe an employee got a bug up his butt to make himself his perfect recto out of left over parts? I know I would if I had the chance.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard (EMG 81/85
Ibanez GAX70 (EMG 81)
Hamer Standard (Golden Age Hot PAF w/ ceramic magnets)
BC Rich Warlock (L500-XL's)

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:36 am 
Donating Member

I know this an old thread, but this is a Rev F in the 1200s. It has the paranthasis, although the "vol 7-10" part has been removed. I think they actually just covered it in black marker, but I'm not at home to confirm.

As for the amp this thread is about, my guess is that it has to do with it being a chrome chassis. Considering that the black chassis was the stock colour they probably burned through them quickly and trasitioned to the parallel loop chassis sooner. With the chrome chassis being a custom option their stockpile probably sat on a shelf for awhile before they used them all up.

| Les Paul | McCarty | Custom 24 | CE 22 |
| D800 | Dual Rectifier | Electra Dyne | Rectoverb:25 | Strategy 8:88 |
| Powerhouse 410 | Recto 1x12, 2x12, 4x12 | Subway 112, 115 |

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:21 pm 
Donating Member

screamingdaisy wrote:
It has the paranthasis, although the "vol 7-10" part has been removed. I think they actually just covered it in black marker, but I'm not at home to confirm.]

My old Rev. E. had the 'vol 7-10' colored over with sharpie. I had always just assumed someone did it after they got it or something. Huh.

Videos: http://www.youtube.com/fluff191
Tunes: http://www.blackmetalbicycle.com