Roadster vs Triaxis; should I trade up?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vitor gracie

Reaction score
I need some Grail Tone wisdom from you fine gents.

I own a fabulous Roadster head...no complaints at all. I am considering doing a trade for a Triaxis & 20/20 set up strictly for the programmability and portability. I have a good paying session project coming up that is out of state. I need to take my rig on a plane with me. So I thought of going with the Triaxis and 20/20 as they would be 2 rack spaces respectively; easily fitting into the over head compartment. I have shipped gear before and never had good results. Lastly, the thought of my Roadster in an ATA case being smashed around with other luggage is a nasty nightmare to me. I would just rent one but I dont think its possible and I don't want to use the dreaded Marshall-Fender combo found in most studios...

The project is R&B based and I thought the Mark-like tones would do very well on an album of that style. Its not that I think a Mark type amp is better then my Recto, just that the pros seem to out weigh the cons in the choice of gear and versitility needed...besides, I may just be able to buy a new Roadster later or even a Mark V with the cash.

I see Triaxis pres going for around a grand on ebay right now with the 20/20s going for about $550. So is that a fair trade off? Should I even consider parting with the Holy Grail of Rectifiers to gain mobility and program presets? Have I over looked an option? Am I loosing my mind? :shock:

I would welcome input from guys who have used both setups or even owners of the Triaxis to chime in here. I love Mark tones and have owned Rectos since the start. My first was a new store bought TremOVerb.

Thanks ahead of time for the mature responses.

p.s... CHRIS! tell me I am nuts! :lol:

From a value perspective, I would think you guys are in the same ballpark or at least within a couple hundred of each other, so for the sake of convenience, I'd consider it a fair trade if you were both getting what you want.

The Triaxis is an extremely flexible preamp that you can drive yourself crazy tweaking. I was never crazy about the Dynamic Voice in it. I always used an external EQ with it as it was either too middy at low settings and too scooped/boomy at high settings for my taste, plus I disliked how it affected the tone.

I'd be more concerned about walking into sessions with a rig you're not as comfortable on as what you have now and one that could require a LOT more tweaking. If you think it's the sound you're looking for, by all means...but I think a good bit of players draw inspiration from their tone. When you sound good, you play inspired. If you're not as familiar with the Triaxis, I'd be sure you were able to dial in what you wanted in a short span of time or had a good bit of time to spend before the sessions getting familair with it first.

I'd be more concerned about walking into sessions with a rig you're not as comfortable on as what you have now

I did consider this a bit... I really dont tweak my Roadster much at all and its easy to dial in a different sound on it for me when needed. I have certainly owned it long enough to know how to track confidently. You bring up a good point...MIDI = TWEAK-AGE!

Maybe I should reconsider...

I haven't actually gotten someone to do the trade yet, I just wanted to see if it would be a fair swap or not and weather it would be a better solution to have the rack set up. hmmmmmmmmmmm..... (Vitor ponders the situation)

Back