Question I'm curious about

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

immortalcorn

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new around here, I've got a triple rec but I'm curious to know if it's possible to run it in 100W or even 50W mode? I've searched but haven't found too direct of an answer, I'm sure some will ask "why the heck would you want to do that?" my answer: just to do it! along with volume issues, I'm generally interested in finding out how to do these types of things and the benefits of doing so vs the cons!

The answer is no, at least not safely for your amp. It has to do with being able to evenly divide the ohms of output into whole numbers. You can take a Dual Rec and remove half the tubes and you get a 50 watt output, but you get an even division of the ohms. For instance, if the amp is rated at 4, 8 or 16 ohm load for speaker cabinets, dividing the load in half by removing 2 out of 4 power tubes will yield a whole number of ohm output as well as reducing the output from 100 to 50 watts.

In contrast, if you pull 2 out of 6 power tubes on a Triple Rec, the output is reduced from 150 watts to 100 watts, but the ohm output load is now 2/3 of its original 4, 8 or 16 ohm load, not 1/2, and 2/3 of any of those ohm loads does not yield a whole number for which the speakers are rated. Same thing occurs if you pull 4 out of 6 power tubes...now you have 50 watts, but you have 1/3 ohm load, which still isn't a whole number for which the speakers are rated.

I know it can get a bit complicated, but it really isn't just as simple as going from 150 to 100 to 50 watts. The ohm load on the speakers is important to the safe operation of your amp and your speakers.

I see, so in my calculations, rather than something switching to 2 ohms, it would be more like 1.5ohms. I suppose an attenuator may be a future purchase :p.

Chris spoke correctly. That being said, others on this board have pulled the tubes and have not blown up their amps. So, just take it as a caveat. Do what you think is best for you.

Back