Same old Roadster switching problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitrobattery

Reaction score
The lag between channel switching is driving me nuts. The Roadster sounds fantastic, but I'm getting ready to ditch the amp because of this. Is there any way to remedy this?

i've improved the lag time by using a midi switcher. it really shouldnt make a difference but it does. Mesa got everything just about right with this amp but really dropped the ball with the switching time... the popping i can deal with but that lag is terrible.

I flat out love this amp, but I can't take the switching problem. It'd be one thing if there was a delay in switching....but my whole signal cuts out. It's absolutely ridiculous. A $2,000 amp shouldn't have these types of issues. I'm just pissed I either have to ditch the amp, or spend even more money on a MIDI switching system...when the only effect I use is an overdrive pedal in front of the amp. As much as it sucks to say, I may be heading back to ENGL.

I'd call Mesa.

Yes mine has lag, but I'm talking milli-seconds, and it's only really noticable when I play alone. I have no problem switching from Ch4 for rhythm to Ch3 for lead during a song.

I'm using an Axess CFX4 for MIDI switching. I've never really used the Footswitch so I don't know if it would be any different, but I doubt it.

Dom

something sounds wierd , the lag isnt that bad on mine mabye something is wrong, its not going to instintanious but it pretty quick

those that dont have much of a lag.... how old is your Roadster? Mine is from a run in late 06/early 07. I wonder if they have secretly addressed this with later runs.

Well I'm glad to hear it's not all Roadsters, but my signal completely cuts out when changing channels. Playing shows at fairly high volumes...this is incredible aggravating.

I had a Rectoverb with the same annoying mute issue - seems like all of the newer Mesa designs with reverb have a mute to keep the reverb from washing between channels during switching. Fortunately my 3ch dual switches beautifully - they got it right with that one.

Nitrobattery said:
Well I'm glad to hear it's not all Roadsters, but my signal completely cuts out when changing channels. Playing shows at fairly high volumes...this is incredible aggravating.

Sorry to hear it's so bad.

Call Mesa, it could be a quick fix if there's a local tech.

Dom

Yep the Reverb circuit mutes for as long as 1s in some cases. This isn't technically a fault, it's a design flaw, and sometimes compounded by using noisy JFET transistors. I hope they've learned their lesson and applied some new thinking on the MarkV.

I want to hear what Mesa has to say on the subject.

Latest posts

Back