beat up dual rec??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveycrocketofmetal

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to possibly pick up a 2ch dual rec on trade that looks fairly beat up and needs tubes. serial number is around 2500. Im thinking of offering the guy a guitar in trade that is in good shape that I just dont play very much though( and i have about 800bucks into the guitar). I already have a 3 channel triple rec but I hear the older 2 channels sound better, but I dont want to have to dump a bunch of money into it to have an amp that I like, what do you guys think??

I would try your amp and the other one side by side to see if it works that way for you.
I like the 2 channel amps better, but that's me.

If the amp does not work "I" would need to get the thing for about nothing and would be little chance that would even make it worth it to "me".

I left the rectifier lineage because of the 3 channels....I now own a 2 channel and I'm here to stay.

If it works, go for the 2 channel. It's a BIG change, and definitely for the better IMO.

Though I can see some liking the 3 channels more aswell, so that is something you'll have to find out for yourself.

Eric

There's something else "I" would consider:

If it's a revision F, I would have a tech look at it before you make any decisions. If the transformers work well and the capacitors are all in working order, and all it really needs is tubes, I'd make the trade regardless of physical appearance. There are...what...a couple of thousand Pre-Revision G's in existance? If it's a Rev F., it may have more resale then the $800 Guitar you're putting up for trade. In which case, even if you don't like it (as compared to your 3ch) once you get it working, the trade would still have been worth it.

Also, it may not cost you an arm and a leg to replace some knobs or replace/re-finish the outer case; if that's important to you.

+ 1 on that.... If you know what it takes to get it going it may be worth it to you.

I just would not buy it hoping it well be cheap to fix then get in over my head.

That is a roll of the dice.

stephen sawall said:
I just would not buy it hoping it well be cheap to fix then get in over my head.

That is a roll of the dice.
Agreed.

And furthermore, if the guy won't let you get it looked at or let you bring a tech with you to "examine" it with a new set of tubes (all be it a limited examination unless you can bring some testing gear and you can test it with a load on it) I would walk away. Just put it out of your mind and keep looking. In that kind of situation, it's not worth the "roll of the dice". WAY too many expensive possible problems and way too much money spent on Advil... Leave those kinds of situations to trained amp techs looking for a new project/challenge.

How much would you pay me for a 50lb. door stop?

2500 is definitely an F. Believe me, I've seen hundreds of these.

If it's beat up but in working order, you can score a great deal. Some new 420 6l6's off ebay and you're in toneland

Elpelotero said:
2500 is definitely an F. Believe me, I've seen hundreds of these.

If it's beat up but in working order, you can score a great deal. Some new 420 6l6's off ebay and you're in toneland
See?

Booyah.

Get a tech over there pronto.

here's one just like it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-2-Channel-Dual-Rectifier-BlackFace_W0QQitemZ140294769401QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item140294769401&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Latest posts

Back