Ok, confused regarding the Rectos....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noonoo

Reaction score
It seems that many of you have played all of these amps at some time or another. Of course, I am a fan of J Petrucci as many are on this forum. I actually like his Roadking period tone best (see "Train of Thought"). Of course he has used a Mark IV. Obviously my playing is nowhere near as articulate as his and my understanding is that the Mark IV is not as forgiving and any sloppiness will come through. I have thought that the Dual Rec was the right way to go as I think that my Tremonti may be magic through it. I am getting so many different opinions I am unsure. Too bad I cannot A/B all of them. I have an opportunity to buy a Triple Rec at a good price but 150 w is a bit of overkill I think. :?:

C O N F U S E D

150 watts vs 100 watts is a very small difference in volume, actually. What you'll find is that a Triple will be a little louder, a little tighter, and a little clearer than a Dual. 150 watts is definitely a lot, but compared to the 100 watt Dual, it's hardly significant in the real world application.

Triple Recs are awesome amps!

If you like his Roadking tone, then forget about the mark4. However, it's hard to get such smooth lead tones out of a Rectifier unless you have some pedals and nice pickups.

What kind of Triple Rectifier is it? And do you really think you'll need the 150w?

To be honest I do not think anyone can tell a dual from a triple side by side with the same cab just with their ears.

They sound the same.
The volume difference is just about none.
The only thing you may here is a little more low end control.
If you were not playing it no one can tell.

If you want JP's lead sound you want a II or IV.
No Rectifier sounds like that at all.

stephen sawall said:
To be honest I do not think anyone can tell a dual from a triple side by side with the same cab just with their ears.

They sound the same.
The volume difference is just about none.
The only thing you may here is a little more low end control.
If you were not playing it no one can tell.

If you want JP's lead sound you want a II or IV.
No Rectifier sounds like that at all.

not so much, or at least not so much if your ear is trained and your use to rectos.

I would say they sound similar, but there are many characteristics which are quite evident. The triples increased headroom and power plays a big difference in the tone. To my ears the triple at the same db level as the dual, sounds tighter, more aggresive and less saturated.

I will agree however if you want JPs lead tone you have to look at the mark series and to be honest they're not as stiff/unforgiving as people make them. Sure when compared to a recto they are but the marks have give to them too.

Now if you want to stay in recto territory but get a good lead out of it too, you need to look at the Road King, Roadster or Tremoverb. IMO the best bang for your buck will be the Roadster as it has incredibles cleans and a very smooth high gain which caters more towards a nicer lead tone. is it mark iv lead tone? of course not, your talking two very different amp designs, buts its a good lead tone none the less. The road king will give you more bells and whistles and the ability to use el34s and 6l6s. The tremoverb is a legend of an amp that like the road king and roadster has a smoother/darker tone which is more catered to leads. Just keep in mind when i say more catered to leads i'm saying this as compared to a regular DR or TR. The rhythm tones out of all those rectos kill.

Noonoo said:
I think the Triple is overkill frankly. I am leaning to the Dual.

In terms of what? Volume is very close to the Dual but the tone has increased headroom which is what makes them sound different. I prefer having the increased headroom as it keeps the amp tighter and is killer for that chugga chugga. If you can get one at a good price go for it, you wont be disappointed especially if its a 2 channel. The 2 channel triples IMO are where its at if you need a super aggressive, tight recto chug. Only problem is the cleans blow.

"not so much, or at least not so much if your ear is trained and your use to rectos"

You are right. I should have used the term "few" not "anyone".

And I did like the tri a bit more than the dual.

But the one I use is a Tremoverb.

****, too many options. I swear my opinion is changing daily. Thanks for the feedback everybody but I am not sure I am any closer to a decision. Maybe the Mark IV would be the ticket as the Tremonti could be $$ through it...who knows? I think I will just plug into my stereo.. :lol:

One thing is for sure you need to go play a few so you know what direction you need to head.

Take a look at the manuals before this so you know how to set it up for tones you well be going for.
Not too many people can walk up to a Mark IV and make it sound good on the first try.

stephen sawall said:
One thing is for sure you need to go play a few so you know what direction you need to head.

Take a look at the manuals before this so you know how to set it up for tones you well be going for.
Not too many people can walk up to a Mark IV and make it sound good on the first try.

+1

try as many amps as possible and try to pull some settings from the manula before you play them so you can see what tonal spectrum those amps lie in. I must have played 30 different amps before settling on the roadster and about 100 different guitars before settling on my PRS. To me thats how you'll know if you investment is in the right gear... you dont wnat to go swapping over and over.

Back