Which Mesa is right for me?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've been researching amps and hear nothing but good things about Mesa's, but I don't have any places near me that stock any of them.

I currently play in a ska/punk band through a Fender Stage 160 (SS) and switch between clean and drive channels (clean for offbeat reggae sound, distortion for loud, punk parts). The Fender does decent cleans, but the distortion just plain sucks, no life, very trebly and weak. However, I also play alternative, classic, and metal, along with some blues.

I have a Marshall JCM900 that I like, but don't want to lug a head and 4x12 cab around. Also, the cleans aren't too great and the gain really only sounds good when cranked (even on 50W).

I thought that maybe a Mesa head through a 2x12 would be the perfect solution, as I know of many players that love these amps and I could take the head with me to practice and play it at home as well.

My problem is that I don't know the differences between the amps and after a lot of research I still have a list of models that may suite me with no real way to narrow it down further.

Help me out and let me know what you'd suggest for me, a few requirements:

-Switchable power settings would be a definite plus, I shouldn't need more than 50W for playing with the band, but wouldn't mind having a 100W head for the headroom (and those couple times I need it)

-Decent cleans for reggae offbeat ska, and a really heavy channel (I'd like to think of us as punk/metal during the heavy parts). I'm not a big fan of pedals, with my Marshall I typically just use an analog delay and that's all. I don't mind using a few, but I'm not that guy who'll bring a pedalboard worth more than my amp.

-Ability to do a classic rock sound well.

-I'm no amp genius, and like how simple my Marshall is, so no Road King where absolutely everything is configurable. I have no problem with tweaking an amp to get good tones, but I like to play more than I like to tweak!

-Pricerange $1000-$1200 (perhaps a touch over if needed) for the head, I'll be in the market for used gear. I'll probably use my Fender as a 2x12 cab (celestion G12T-100) until I either buy one or build one myself with speakers better suited to the job.

I've had people suggest these: single rec (streelight manifesto uses this), dual rec, roadster, stilletto, mark III or IV.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I love my M4 with the t-100's. It's a perfect match IMO. But, you said you wanted a simple amp, so that might be an issue for you since the M4 takes a lot of tweaking and has a fairly complex layout. At first it was a bit confusing to tweak it on the fly, but now that I've learned it well, I have no probs.... It does have decent (or great depending who you ask) cleans and definitely a great chunky gain. It also has a ton of power section options. My short head fits perfect on the (vertical) boogie 2x12

Back