HELP ME TO CHOOSE AN AMPLI,very urgent

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HELP NEEDED VERY URGENT

• What do you advice me to buy,a combo stilleto ace 2x12,or a combo dual rectifier,and which one has t

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Thanks

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

najim

Reaction score
Hi to every one,I play most of the time pop music,and I am confused about which amp shal I buy,a combo stilleto ace 2x12,or a combo dual rectifier.
Thanks all

For pop music I think a Stilleto is better. I say this because most pop has a Marshall-type tone, and the Stilleto is basically a Marshall with many more features.

However, I advise against a combo. THey are VERY heavy, especially a 2x12. I would suggest getting an amp head and a separate 2x12 cab.

So what you R saying,the stilleto ace 2.12,and dual rectifier in a combo style,are not the wright stuff for pop music,as for the weight is not an issue,so please tell me in details,exactly which one of mesa shall I choose,and I dont want to regrate it in the near future.
thank you

If weight is not an issue, I would choose the Stilleto. But if you are the one that will have to carry the combo, it is very heavy and you will quickly hurt your back.

Have you played any mesas?

No I did not play any mesa,but I do appreciete if you can tell me what the exact diff,between the stilletto,loanster,and dual rectifier,in a soun issue,I mean which one of them have that nice sweet sounds,bear in mind that I dont play any heavy or very hard rock.thanks alot

Stilleto is like a hot-rodded, modded up Marshall. British, early rock sound. Great cleans and can get heavy if you want. El34 tube sound.

Lonestar is like an old Fender. Best clean channel, and very mild, light overdrive for some solos.

Dual Rectifier is best known for its wall of huge gain and sound. Typical 90's and 2000's metal. Although over the years it has received great upgrades in its clean channel, and mid-gain channels.

If by sweet sounds you mean clean, then lonestar.

**What bands do you listen to?**

Thank you so much for clearing my idea,and I will go for lone star special,and I hope that this ampli will give me good sounds,and last me for at least 5 years.
just one last issu,can I use a BOSS ME 50 with this amp?

really depends on what you mean by pop music? You talking Britney spears or your talking pop punk/Rock as in fallout boy, ashley simpson, nickleback etc....?

The Lonestars great in low gain and cleans. This amp would be great for the Britney spears style of pop with mostly cleans. (remember you can get these cleans on the roadking/roadster)

The rectifiers, newer rec's have good cleans, Roadking/roadster will give you a best of everything, great cleans, good low gain britt and then the recto growl, this amp can cover almost everything.

The stiletto, great clean, great rock amp.... With a boost and some scooping can easily get into heavy territory, this is a great amp for in between Pop and Pop punk/hard rock.

So basically if money is no object i would go with the roadking, being able to switch in the EL34's for britt mode is great, however if money is a problem then I would get the roadster. If you think you are never going to get into the heavy side of pop, such as nickleback, fallout boy etc.. then I would get a stiletto.

The thing is,I am looking for a combo only,by the way if the same type of amps,one is comb and one is head,will the sound be diff.thanks

I play Eric Clapton,the beatles,...etc.,no metal,no heavy,but very soft rock,thanks

Ok, for eric clapton, beatles, etc. Definitely the lonestar. That amp was made for that kind of stuff.

A combo will sound different from a head and cab. There's one main reason--combos are usually "open back."

This means the speakers' backs are facing nothing but air. Because of this, a lot of air gets pushed out of the back of the cab when you play. This lost air are mainly bass waves. Since air/sound waves are coming out of 2 directions, the effect is a "3d" feel inside the room you are playing in. The sound envelops the room much better. Because of all this, combos are great amps to have for clean-type players as yourself. http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/LONESTARcabs/LS2x12-LG.htm

A "closed back" speaker configuration means that the speakers are enclosed entirely within a cabinet. You cannot see the backs of the speakers. When you play, the air all gets pushed out of the front. Nothing can escape through the back because there is wood there to block it. The effect of this are much more linear and focused sound waves pointing straightly in the direction of the speakers. There is no 3d effect. This type of closed back configuration is usually used by rock and metal players because of the additional bass thumping response coming out the front. http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/RECTOcabs/Recto2x12H-LG.htm

This doesn't mean a closed back is not for you. Try one out and you may like it. Eric Clapton has used closed backs at some point in his career.

The main downside of a combo is that it is VERY heavy to carry. You can buy the lonestar head and an open back cabinet and get the same result without the back pain from carrying a combo.

It is a pleasure to have a cool people like you,thanks so much for your help,I think that I will stick with loanstar,but¡¡¡,I am sorry for giving trouble,what do yo you recomand me to get,the lonestar classic or special,and 1x12,or 2x12.thanks

2x12! I don't care for 1x12s at all. They sound small in a room and on recordings. Having 2 speakers to work with would pair very well with either Lonestar.

I would suggest maybe a Heartbreaker or a Tremoverb. Both are now out of production but can be found easily. The Heartbreaker is very adaptable to most styles of music and gets a good Marshall-like tone, especially if you switch it to EL34 power tubes. The Tremoverb has great warm cleans and can be Marshall-like or get that high gain Dual Rec tone.

roadster 212 combo has a closed back. it does everything and more (unless of course we're comparing it to a roadking... in that case, the roadking II owns).

but the lonestars sound amazing as well (roadsters have Lonestar cleans)

na said:
I play Eric Clapton,the beatles,...etc.,no metal,no heavy,but very soft rock,thanks

if i were you I would either go for the Lone Star or the Express 5:50. Both are stellar amps and do cleans to mid-gain very very very well. In my opinion, I like the Express 5:50 more than the lone star and I think the cleans out of the Express are better. The Express is also lighter and less expensive if your looking to save money. I'd go express all the way.

Also dont rule out looking outside Mesa. A classic Fender Black Face or VOX AC would also be a great fit. If you can, just keep trying amps till one speaks to you.... but if your set on mesa give serious consideration to the Express 5:50

Back