Help with triple rectifier settings

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supercop9907

Reaction score
Hey everyone I'm new here and I know this is gonna sound really stupid but I need some help. I just got a triple rectifier full stack and I'm havin some trouble getting a good sound out of it. I mostly play metal so I've got the back set to silicone diode/bold and it sounds bitchin cranked up on ch2 modern and ch3 modern....but when I palm mute it doesn't have that really good chug sound you normally get...it sounds real flat and empty...and thats cranked....with the master volumes at 5 on each channel and the output at 4....which was ridiculously too loud for my house but I was trying to see if crankin it up would help but it didn't make much difference.

The settings I have for ch2 and ch 3 are roughly the same...presence 6, master 5, gain 7, bass 8, mid 2, treble 7. And thats plugged straight in to the amp with no effects or rack gear.

I've also got a Randall V2 full stack and at low volumes that has way more thump when I palm mute. I know that could be due to it being a solid state amp, but I know for a fact my Mesa should sound better than it does.

So I know I'm doin something wrong. This amp is bitchin because I've heard others that sounded like metal mayhem and it has to be something I haven't dialed in properly. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Don't under-estimate your mids. Try them at like 4-6. You may also want to try a TS808 at a low gain setting to push your input signal, or swap in hotter pickups. Also see how old your tubes are and possibly replace with EL34's. If all else fails, look into a guitar EQ Processor.

Don't get discouraged. When I bought my Roadster it took me quite a lot of fiddling to not be pissed off at it. I was like "Ok, my pos line 6 gets better chunk than this."

im new with all this tube amp stuff, i run my dual eq way higher (bass - 3 oclock, mids scooped way back, treble - 1 - 2 oclock and the gain right up between 1 and 3 oclock and presence right up because i have a cheap epi which sounds terrible otherwise) and it sounds real real heavy and chugs with ease. i realise im probably going to get schooled by people with those settings dialed in but it sounds great at low volume and at high it just needs a little adjusting

I'll do the best I can to help you, but my input may not apply as I have a 2 channel Triple.

First off, your settings seem to me like they're going to be harsh and muddy. I know if I tried that, my amp would not sound too killer. First and foremost, take some time to learn the controls and how each affects tone. Then, listen to your sound and try to think about where each control should be.

I believe the red modern is similar to my red channel, so try these settings:

Gain - 2 o'clock
Presence - off
Bass - noon
Mids - 10:30
Treble - 10:30

With that, my Triple sounds unbelievable. Nice full tone, not too harsh or muddy, excellent palm mutes, and very brutal.

The other very important factor is cabinetry. I use a Rectifier cab - a huge part of my tone. What I've found is that I don't really care for my Triple at all with anything else I've tried, no matter the settings or volume. What are you using?

Dialing in a Rectifier, or any amp really, takes some focus. The more experience the better you get.

I think of knobs in this sequential manner from left to right:

Bass=tightness>boom or thump>muddy sound.
Mids=scooped>liquidy/creamy>clarity>stiff
Treble=dark>focused attack or bite>shrill
Presence=dark/fat>bright and chimey>shrill

Here's what I do, and is similar to how Petrucci dials in:

First, put your controls down to 0. Then put the volumes at where you are comfortable. For a Recto to sound good it needs to be at least at 10 oclock. Make sure you have Diodes and Bold, and that the efx loop is turned off. You may also get results with tubes instead of diodes since diodes aim to make it tighter.

Now that you have volume, bring up the gain. Chug your low string continuously while the left hand brings up the knob. Carefully listen to when the sound "changes." Don't look at the knob! Your eyes will deceive you. Use your ears and listen to when the knob goes from simple increases in volume, to crunch, to when it becomes mushy. Once I reach the "mushy," I take it back slightly left and leave it there. I like it around 2 oclock.

Next, go for treble. Treble dictates how much signal the others get. Dial the treble until your ears tell you you've hit the sweet spot. For me this is around the 1 oclock region. After treble, set your bass, then your mids. Finally presence.

At each knob, use your ears, not your eyes, and look for that "moment of change"--when the amp enters yuck territory. When you hit that threshold, click it back left a little and leave it. Each knob needs to be complemented by the others. So if you like really high treble settings, you'll need to balance the tone by bringing up another knob with it. You shouldn't leave any of the knobs down by themselves in my opinion.

These "moments" are different for everyone's tastes. For example, Mark Tremonti likes a full bass knob. I like my bass just below 9 oclock.

Check some of the ones found here:

http://grailtone.com/tone-settings/mesa-boogie/mesa-boogie-amp-settings.html

Latest posts

Back