Mesa Boogie Roadster questions...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

civicbud

Reaction score
Hello. I am new to the BoogieBoard and will soon be owning my first Mesa Amplifier. I play a wide variety of music, from punk to rock to blues to classic rock. I was looking into getting a Mesa Boogie Roadster, Stiletto Deuce, or a Lonestar. Does anybody have any good advice that they could give me as to which amp I should go for. I am looking for something very versatile, being that this expensive purchase will only be made this once, unless of course, I can make some career from playing. I know that the Lonestar does not have the biting distortion that the other two have, but I was contemplating pedals to alleviate that, considering it's clean channels. Are the Roadster cleans really as good as the Lonestar's cleans? Is there really a popping problem when switching channels on the Roadster? What about the Stiletto? Is the sound as thick as the Dual Rectifier Roadster, in terms of distortion. I know one uses EL-34's, and the other is 6L6 based. Has anyone switched out the 6L6's on the Roadster for EL-34's?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Happy rockin'!

-Bud

yes the roadsters rules with el34's in it,and the roadsters cleans are the same as the lonestars so its a no brainer!

Hey:

Thank you for the information and for the swift reply to my post! So you have put EL-34's in it? What would you compare the distortion to on the Brit channel of the Roadster to? Plexi? Stiletto? Also, any pops when changing channels on the Roadster?

I have had great success getting any sound I want out of my Roadster head with EL-34s. I really have never played an amp that crosses over so many musical styles as a Roadster. I think that Roadster owners on this forum will tell you exactly the same thing, it is an all in one tool box and an amazing amplifier. I would eventually own other amps to do that "One thing that they do" for a specific studio sound, but nothing does everything more convincingly to my experienced ears as a Roadster does.

I have used it for Grind-core, Funk, Jazz, Roots Rock, Grungy 90s stuff, Soul-full blues, Fusion with a bunch of older more experienced Jazz players, and very complicated techy math rock and never had anything but great tones out of it. I prefer EL-34s in my amp but the Recto series is really a 6L6 kind of amp.

The other Mesas you mentioned are super amps and stand by themselves but for me and what I need one amp to do, it is by far and away the greatest amp I have played through, and I have plugged into most. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back