Problem during a gig

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBoggles

Reaction score
ok during the 2nd set of a show we lost power,
after it came on again i turned on the amp quickly and probly didnt give it enough time to warm up.
here's the problem the amp started squeeling so i know something was going on with the tubes so i turned it off and waited and then turned it on again after the tubes had warmed up several times. There was no visual indication that the power tubes were playing up and the noise eventually stopped. :?
however after that i lost substantual volume to ch 2+3. ch 1 was fine.
Which led me to thinking it was the power tubes, but after concidering that ch 1 was fine i'm thinking it could be v2 or v3 that was playing up. again concidering that v2 contains boost stage for all 3 channels and that ch1 was fine i'm thinking V3 is the culprit..
after leaving it on standby during the set break upon returning everything was back to normal :?
the weird thing is i've only just put new v1 v2 v3 in no less that a few months back and it has performed flawlessly up until this point. so dud tube??
what do you think??? any thoughts are aprciated..

I would chalk it up to a tube gremlin, and let it go. If it doesn't happen again, I wouldn't worry about it. I've had strange things going on with my amp on one day, then the next day it's completely fine.

Tube amps are strange creatures.

Hard to say. It's also quite possible that a quick power-on to full playing fried them, even if they were new. Tubes are weird....they can be the most delicate creatures such that the slightest insult causes them to go on strike, or they can last years longer than they're supposed to with no trouble. Assuming you didn't have further power spikes, it's likely not a transformer or resistor issue, but if it is, those can be more trouble to sort out. Here's hoping it fixes itself.

Hi Mr Boggles,
Your correct. If your having an issue with one or two channels, it would lead you to the pre amp tubes. The power tubes would effect all channels. Once I have an issue with a tube, its replaced and the bad one, or ones in question are tossed out. Its not worth saving $15 to end up having a bad show due to tubes. Just my opinion, take it for what its worth.

Good Luck,

BMarchant

Most likely V2 or V3. Here's what you do: try switching each pre tube out separately until the problem is fixed. If you don't have spare tubes, V4 is your effects loop send and return. Turn your effects loop off, and switch V3 and V4. If that doesn't work, try switching with V2, or even V1.

Probably was a dud tube. Things like that happen, and it's definitely worth keeping a few spares. Hope that helps!

once i lost the red channel on my solo 50 because of the power tubes.
the green chanel kept on working.

how lod are you power tubes.

they could be on the verge of burning out.

Back