Need help with roadster immediately.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paintballnsk

Reaction score
I have a Roadster head. I have a rehearsal tomorrow morning assuming the roadster has a direct out into a PA.

I was wondering if it has a headphone out and or a direct out for recording. There is a master/slave output but I have no idea what that means because I'm a noob. I assume that's a direct out? Can the tuner out be used with full amp effects, or does it only give a clean output of the guitar to the direct out.

I'd like to plug my headphones in tonight and warm up, but I'm afraid of plugging anything into the amp without knowing what I'm doing. Obviously I'm not stupid enough to plug anything into the cab outs without a cab being there :)

Fast help is very appreciated.

Thanks,
NSK

[email protected]

As you already mentioned, make sure whatever you do, ALWAYS have a speaker load on the amp.

The tuner out is pretty much just the direct guitar signal.

The slave output is tapped off of the output (speaker) transformer and will have all of the amp's signal. It is not a silent recording or headphone out, as you need to turn up the output to send signal to the output tranny (and speakers). The slave level control is an attenuator.

You could use the FX send, keeping the output at zero, and using the channel masters as volume controls, but this will be only the preamp signal, which will not sound well at all without the interaction of the output section.

Why not just mic the cabinet?

Dom

The slave out is sort of a line out. I believe its tapped from the power amp so it carries some characteristics of the roadsters power section. You could use it as a line out into a headphone amp for late night practicing

I guess that works.

I think I'm going to buy a THD Hotplate to act as a load and use the Roadster for the show :)

so you have a head and no cab, and you still want to use the head direct? Bad idea. if you going th DI route you wasted money on a roadster, just get a POD or V-amp.

Mic your amp.
Mic your amp.
Mic your amp.
V-amp / pod / Vetta / etc. sound poor direct and so do direct outs on amps that have them...there is no substitute for a great tube amp mic'd. I've tried em all, take my word for it.

With the money you are going to spend on the Hotplate, you could get a nice 1x12 cabinet, maybe even a Thiele!

Keep the Roadster at 50W. If it's still too loud out front, turn the cabinet around so it faces away from you (backwards). I've even seen blankets thrown over the cab and mic, using milk crates as a framework to keep the blanket off the mic. A good 1x12 will still be loud enough to be heard over the drummer (pointed up towards your ears) when needed.

If you must go with an attenuator, I recommend a speaker simulator as well.

Palmer makes a real good unit, speaker load, simulator and attenuator in one box:

Palmer PDI-03 Speaker Simulator
or
Palmer PGA-04 Speaker Simulator

Dom

paintballnsk said:
I guess that works.

I think I'm going to buy a THD Hotplate to act as a load and use the Roadster for the show :)

Dude,

don't do this. I recommend that you find a sweet spot with your master volumes (channel and overall) to get what you are looking for.

Hotplates, or any attenuator, except the Ultimate attenuator, takes away too much of the high end that you need.

Don't do it.....

Back