Mesa triple rectifier isnt working plz help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jke348

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my 1st post here as you can see. Im looking for ideas about what could be wrong with a triple rectifier that i recently purchased used from someone in my city that i didnt know. this person said he replaced all the tubes recently but he could have been lying.

The problem im having is that Channel 1 (clean) and channel 3 (distortion) do not make any noise at all when plugged into the cab and channel 2 (distortion) plays very qietly with no distortion at all. Sounds like a preamp tube problem but i dont know for sure.
I looked in the back of the amp, and all 6 power tubes are lighting up slightly like theyre supposed to, but the 3 rectifier tubes arent glowing at all. is this normal? should they be glowing?
any help is appreciated!

This sounds like a preamp tube issue. Start by examining all the preamp tubes, looking at the silver getter flash on the tops. If any are grey/ash looking, replace it immediatly. If all look good, replace one at a time with a known good tube until the amp works correctly and you find the bad one. Take note of what brand and type are in what spot, they should all be 12AX7 / ECC83.

If the amp is in Silicon Diode mode, the Rectifier tubes don't matter (as long as you are not blowing fuses that is).

If you get the amp to work, I would change all the tubes anyway. You do not know how many hours are on those tubes, regardless of what the seller has told you. Believe me, most do not sell their amps loaded up with the best tubes.

Good luck.
Dom

Back