Question about tubes and watts

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wishinghand

Reaction score
(I also posted this in the general modern amp forums)
I have a Triple Rectifier Solo head at 150 watts. I bought it in 2002 when I was younger and thought a bigger number was better. I think I'd like the earlier distortion breakup of 100 watts better. Is it safe to pull out one rectifier tube and two 6L6 tubes? I practice in my room and with others, only about twice a week. So sometimes I play quiet and sometimes I play loud.

My other questions are a little more trivial. One is that I get a loud "POP" after I turn my amp on for the first time and switch channels, especially going from channel 2 to 3. Sometimes channel 1 will be real quiet (even after the tubes have warmed up) and then the volume will quickly go to normal once I play a chord. The popping sound worries me since I'm afraid of damaging my speakers, and it would be very annoying at gigs. How do I fix this? (warranty is expired).

My last question has to do with changing the preamp tubes. It's pretty hard! You have to pull out most or all of the 6L6's to get at them. Am I missing something? Can you pull the whole amp out of the head casing? Even if I unscrew the vent plate on top it's difficult to maneuver my large-ish hands around the tubes.

Thanks all,
Jason

Back