Dual Rectifier - 6L6 vs EL43 tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjtguitar

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm wondering if anyone who has experimented with EL34 tubes in Dual Rectifiers would be able to give me some insight into the difference in sound compared to the stock 6L6s? I know they give a little bit of insight in the manual, but I'm after some other opinions.
thanks,
jjtguitar

I think EL34s sound bland. Too Marshall like (for a recto). The reason I bought a Recto was because the JCM2000s dont have the awesome buzz/fuzz capabilities that the Recto has

The EL34s will make it sound a bit darker and more mid focused with tighter low end. It won't turn your amp into a Marshall, but you do indeed lose some of the Recto sizzle in the top end as well as some of the 6L6s massive low end.

Personally I much prefer the sound with EL34s, I find they have a nicer "crunch" to them, and I love the tighter low end they provide over the "boomy" or "loose" low end a lot of people find with Rectos using 6L6s.

Others on the forum have also suggested KT77s, which I understand are kind of a half way point between the EL34 and 6L6.

I've got JJ E34Ls in mine, and I really like them. For my applications, they work better than 6L6s.

I definitely like the 6L6s better for cleans, but if you've got a Rectifier, you probably didn't buy it for the clean tone....

does buying non-mesa tubes void the warranty? and do i need to request something specific with the non-mesa tubes so i dont blow it up? sorry i am a new tube amp owner and i really have no idea about anything :lol:

I just blew a 6l6 last night and had a set of 34's laying around and I gotta say there in ther for good! holy **** the crunch is insane , the 6l6 has too much low end for me and I also ended up lowering my gain. Im not a marshall fan and they do not make you recto sound like a marshall just a tighter badder recto. you gotta try em

Triple Cheeseburger said:
does buying non-mesa tubes void the warranty? and do i need to request something specific with the non-mesa tubes so i dont blow it up? sorry i am a new tube amp owner and i really have no idea about anything :lol:
Don't know if it voids the warranty - I don't think so - but if you decide to order non Mesa tubes, specify that they're for a Mesa. You should be all set.
155 said:
I just blew a 6l6 last night and had a set of 34's laying around and I gotta say there in ther for good! holy sh!t the crunch is insane , the 6l6 has too much low end for me and I also ended up lowering my gain. Im not a marshall fan and they do not make you recto sound like a marshall just a tighter badder recto. you gotta try em
I notice that for lower to mid volumes with my Triple, I like the EL34s better for those reasons, but when I crank the amp, they're a little too thin for me. Just my personal taste, but if I were to record, I think I'd choose 6L6s.

jdurso said:
Loser No. 27 said:
Others on the forum have also suggested KT77s, which I understand are kind of a half way point between the EL34 and 6L6.

+1

+2

the kt77's seriously brought a level of aggressiveness to my rec that I enjoy. I've done an adjustable bias mod and run these with gz34 rec tubes at around 65% dissipation. I've got my amps eq all at noon with the presence around nine o clock.

aggressive smooth and crunch all in one.

I play modern melodic metal ala in flames and such.

I like both. I'll agreee on the EL34's being more focused with a nicer lowend. i got a great live tone running a duet of EH El34's. I tried KT77's too and thought they were too much darker than the EL34's (for my taste anyway).

Triple Cheeseburger said:
Buying them doesn't void the warranty but fitting them to your Mesa amp does !!! :mrgreen:

does buying non-mesa tubes void the warranty? and do i need to request something specific with the non-mesa tubes so i dont blow it up? sorry i am a new tube amp owner and i really have no idea about anything

There is some info on this question in earlier posts (sorry can't specifically remeber which ones....likely under "tubes"). The most common answer (short of calling Mesa) is that their tubes or GrooveTubes rated 4,5 or 6 are approved for their amps.

If one of these tubes fail they "supposedly" still honor warranty for any damage they cause. If you use another brand, whether it caused the problem or not, then it's your word against their's.

We can only hope Mesa would be honest and not burn you on your warranty for a problem not related to your tube choice.

In either case, if using another brand, you definitely want to check the idle current (set by bias) and keep an eye on them for glowing plates, evidence of arcing, etc., so you don't have to test this theory. A lot of tube suppliers have experience with Mesa amps and will know what ratings to recommend.

Bottom line, use other brands at your own risk; once warranty is expired, it won't matter to Mesa, but you still want to avoid hurting your amp.

Good luck! :D

I love EL34's in my Recto. I did get a set of Mesa's and ran them for a while, but to me they have a drastic drop in high end after about 4 months. They also have to run a bit hotter than 6L6's, so if you don't get to turn your amp up or play at small club volumes, this provides a little more compression and dynamics when jamming. All said and done, it still will sound like a Recto.

I've been running JJ E34Ls exclusively in my Rectos for the last 4 or 5 years. I love how crunchy they are, the upper midrange they have, and I don't seem to lose any low end with them compared to 6L6s.

I have a new set of 6L6s that I keep around, and I swap them in from time to time to see if my opinion has changed, and every time they end up back in the boxes.

It all seems to depend on how you define good guitar sound and/or what kind of music you are trying to play. It also seems to be generational; not in terms of the players, but in terms of the music they're playing. Guys who play nothing but modern death/black/thrash/grind/whatever-core metal tend to prefer the 6L6's because of the increased total bass response and the more severe highs. Guys who play rock/metal from before Y2K or who play any leads tend to prefer the EL34's because of the better mid-range harmonics, tighter bottom end, and more articulate crunch. Exceptions are plentiful, but that seems to be the trend.

Regardless of tweaking capabilities, there are signature classic tones to both a Marshall stack and a Mesa Rectifier that people know and love, and these generally represent what people think of when they mention EL34's or 6L6's in a rock or metal context. Perhaps in future generations of amps we might see improvements in the hybridization or at least in the modular employment of both types. We might even dare to dream that, at some point, some reliable company might actually begin to produce significant quantities of high-quality tubes of all sizes again. As it is, the mass-produced ones generally don't hold a candle to the best NOS tubes from decades ago, and the really good quality tubes (NOS and the equivalent) are sold for ridiculously inflated prices considering the very simple and completely obsolete technology they represent because they are no longer mass-produced.

Back