Dual Rectifier and THD Yellowjackets? How do they sound?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjtguitar

Reaction score
Hi All,
I've got a Dual Rec 3 Channel head and a 4x12 Recto Standard cab. I'm currently running it with only two power tubes to try and tame it a little (out of necessity, not desire - I'm mainly using it at church! :) ) Anyway, I'm contemplating running THD Yellow Jackets w/ EL84s in place of the standard 6L6 tubes. I'm after some feedback from people who have used Yellow Jackets in Dual Rectifiers to let me know what it sounds like, how it is different to 6L6 tubes? I'm also interested to know the difference in sound/feel/anything between running two and four Yellow Jackets.
Thanks!
jjtguitar

I see no reply's yet. Can't say about the recto but i've heard my friend's Stiletto with 2 yellowjakets and he gets a nice tone. it seems putting anything other than the 6L6's in a rec helps if you don't like all the low end, and the yellow jackets help get power tube saturation at a lower wattage. i'd like to know how they sound in a rec too, if you or anyone else gives it a shot.

I think it would be worth a try for you to get them. When I used them in my Roadster, they took away a lot of the low end, added some more mids, and a little highs. Great rock sound, but wouldn't work for metal. I think it would be good for most "church" music. It's not as much of a volume cut as you might think, but they do saturate a lot more, making the sound seem a little spongy for lack of a better word. Hope this helps. I don't think you'd regret it, and you can get some used ones on ebay for a pretty good price.

I use my Dual at "Church" and other than it being on 1 or 2 on the volume, I havent had to pull tubes or use jackets. Are you going for a specific sound or just trying to lower the volume? Try using a 1X12 cab.

I have a Triple Rec that I pull 2 tubes out of and run 4 Yellowjackets with EL 84s.

Yellowjackets turn your amp into more of a Class A type amp. To me there are great sounds just rolling on and off your volume and tone controls. You hear pick dynamics better than with the 6L6s. The only problem here is that if you are a sloppy player you will hear the sloppiness more than with the stock tubes. They dont really reduce the volume as much as you think they will. If you want to drastically reduce the volume you might be better served to get some kind of attenuator. I use a Weber Mass and it does a great job.

A quartet of YellowJackets with tubes will run you in the $250 range so they are not a cheap alternative. Attenuators can be bought for this much money and you can use them for different amps so I would say get an attenuator of some sort.

I have a Triple, a Roadster and a Subway Rocket and have tried everything in the book to lower the volume on my larger amps. Recently I have just started using the Subway Rocket 20 watts EL 84 tube based amp and I am tickled to death. I can crank it and get it sounding like it should. With the larger amps you always seem to be too loud and when you cut them back you lose what you like about them in the first place.

Someone mentioned metal tones in my Triple and Roadster i prefer EL 34s for metal tones, 6L6s get get dark and muddy to my ears.

Good Luck

I have spent a lot of time (and money) trying to get those great tones at a volume that the church likes. Sometimes that means no volume instead of low volume! I am currently using an axetrack isolation cabinet with some success. I would be interested in the tones of the yellow jackets in a few of my amps. I am just glad to know that they do work in the dual recs.

Back