Greenbacks with a Rectifier? Other speakers?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

So, I have one traditional 4x12 loaded with V30s....the other one is currently empty.

So, the plan is to get a quad of speakers to x pattern with the V30s in my two traditional 4x12s.

I've always liked Greenbacks....will they do well with the rectifier? I've read of some great accounts?

Or, should I be looking elsewhere all together? What speakers do you like to run with your rectifiers? Do they mix well with V30s?

Thanks much!

Eric

V30s sound a bit louder than Greenbacks since V30 = 100dB and GB = 98dB.
The V30 and G12H is a great mix though.

Greenbacks are def. cool, but when they start to break up, they sound awesome but loose some mid punch. I would recomend the G12H30's. They are very simular to the greenbacks but with a larger magnet. I currently have 2 v30's on top and 2 h30's on the bottom in my recto standard. Love It!

So the G12H's are the better choice for a recto? People seem to say that they are pretty bass heavy speakers...do they still work well with the recto?

Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Eric

nothing against greenbacks, they're a classic speaker and i like them for what they are. it's just that they might not be the best match for the recto. for high volumes and with bassy amps, they tend to get loose rather quickly. a g12h-30 like somebody suggested might be better for the low end.

for mixing speakers, finding ones with complimentary characteristics will fill out the spectrum of sound. like, you mentioned pairing them with v-30's. those guys are gonna cover the upper mids quite well, so why not check out somehting that will do the lower end some justice. aren't c-90's supposedly good in the low mids and lows? i haven't done any direct comparisons with those yet...

Lots of people bag on these, but the speakers I use for the Duel Recto are G-75s. If you want your bass to be tight with a dual recto, greenbacks, or V30s are the wrong speakers to use. They are great speakers if your looking to get distortion from the speakers, but modern amps have plenty of gain with 5 and sometimes 6 pre-amp tubes. Low end on these speakers are very muddy since they are low wattage speakers. Not a good combination with a loose stock Dual Recto. The GS-75s are a very tight rounded sounding speaker. If you know someone who has a Marshall cab, try them out. Always best if you can try them before making the purchase.

Good luck,

Bmarchant

I used to use a Marshall 4x12 cab with Greenbacks with a 50 watt Marshall. Sounded nice but no good for heavy chunky stuff. As they're only 25 watts they'll struggle with a Recto !

My cabs are Randalls. My top is loaded with Celestion 75's and my bottom cab is a new RX125CX with 2 Eminence Legend 12's and a single Eminence Legend 15. Massive and tight sound out of that set-up.

I use a couple of EVMs I added to the bottom of this Marshall along with a pair of the original G12-65s...

Tremov1.jpg

Marsha12.jpg

This setup is pretty versatile so any style goes here.
The spectrum is very complimentary...the EVs just open things up and together they bring alot of colour.

V30's + C90's mix worked well while I had my Rectoverb.
I still use that combo with my mark III and and 6505+.
I like the way the offset each other.

kmanick said:
I liek the way the offset each other.
What is your experience with your 6505 cab? I just picked up a (version 1 or version 2) 5150 cab that I'm trying out with my 2ch Dual Rec tonight. I was planning on chiming in once I gave it a fair shake, but now I'm really curious to know how you like yours.

Also, since the Sheffield speakers are said to be modeled after "worn in greenbacks" maybe I should consider doing an x-pattern with a pair of Celestion 75s? To balance and keep everything fairly tight? (I play "low chunky stuff")

Help?

I tried out the 5150 cab with my 2chDR and it wasn't bad. I like the Sheffields for their natural distortion and their high end response. I swapped out a pair of them for a pair of Celestion G12 Vintages which have a slightly tighter response and a better low end response. The combination is pretty good.

I had thought that my Celestions were G12-75s but they turned out to be Vintages...

I only have the head no the Cab, so I can't add anything here.
I've never tried a 5150 cab, but I did have a 5150 combo for a while and I hated the Sheffields with htat. I always ran the combo thru an External cab (which at th etime was loaded with Greenbacks :D 1960AX top )
tunedown said:
kmanick said:
What is your experience with your 6505 cab? I just picked up a (version 1 or version 2) 5150 cab that I'm trying out with my 2ch Dual Rec tonight. I was planning on chiming in once I gave it a fair shake, but now I'm really curious to know how you like yours.

Also, since the Sheffield speakers are said to be modeled after "worn in greenbacks" maybe I should consider doing an x-pattern with a pair of Celestion 75s? To balance and keep everything fairly tight? (I play "low chunky stuff")

Help?

tunedown said:
kmanick said:

Help?
kmanick said:
I only have the head no the Cab, so I can't add anything here.
I've never tried a 5150 cab, but I did have a 5150 combo for a while and I hated the Sheffields with htat. I always ran the combo thru an External cab (which at th etime was loaded with Greenbacks :D 1960AX top )
And you liked the external cab loaded with Greenbacks better then the built in cab loaded with Sheffields? I've never heard greenbacks and sheffields side by side. What did you perceive as the difference?

I think that this scenario makes sense though. The Greenback is a 25 watt speaker, correct? and the 5150 Combo is a 60w head. So it sorta makes sense that you would get a very different response from a 4x12 cab loaded with greenbacks then from a 2x12 attached cab loaded with Sheffields.

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Hey guys!

So, I have one traditional 4x12 loaded with V30s....the other one is currently empty.

So, the plan is to get a quad of speakers to x pattern with the V30s in my two traditional 4x12s.

I've always liked Greenbacks....will they do well with the rectifier? I've read of some great accounts?

Or, should I be looking elsewhere all together? What speakers do you like to run with your rectifiers? Do they mix well with V30s?

Thanks much!

Eric

I think a great combo would be the G12H30s in the other cabinet . Not the anniversary g12s , the G12h30s that
have the large greenback . The cone resonates at 55hz and it is one speaker that cranks out the bass .
The cab that marshall makes with these equiped are the 1960AHW and 1960BHW , costly but not much
more than buying 4 singles imHo . As always it is what sounds good to you and the band . As always
my suggestions are just that , what sounds great to me , may just make you sick :).
/cheers

Greenbacks do sound good with a rectifier at LOW volume. If you turn the volume up everything get distorted in a bad way and your guitar gets lost in the mix. I would not suggest it. Greenback's give you more warm and creamy cone breakup then most speakers and does not sound good with a high gain amp that has lots of compression.

Back