Mesa vs. JJ preamp tube set opinion

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolf

Reaction score
I have been trying long time to find the best configuration in preamp section.Basicaly I like JJ`s for their ability to make distortion nice punchy metal tone.After few months of playing JJ`s I decided to put back the Mesa 7025 stock tubes and I have noticed bloody difference.I could turn up gain easy to 3:00 even bit more in both channels distortion sounds still nice chunky and crispy.JJ`s start to be mushy at 2:00 they lose clarity and articulation. :?

I only prefer the JJ's in the power section, you might want to try a tung in the V1

wolf said:
I have been trying long time to find the best configuration in preamp section.Basicaly I like JJ`s for their ability to make distortion nice punchy metal tone.After few months of playing JJ`s I decided to put back the Mesa 7025 stock tubes and I have noticed bloody difference.I could turn up gain easy to 3:00 even bit more in both channels distortion sounds still nice chunky and crispy.JJ`s start to be mushy at 2:00 they lose clarity and articulation. :?

I'm not a fan of JJ's. To my ears they sound as you describe it...mushy and muddied. I prefer and use SED Winged C 6L6.

cradlefish said:
I'm not a fan of JJ's. To my ears they sound as you describe it...mushy and muddied. I prefer and use SED Winged C 6L6.

aren't we talking about preamp tubes???

The JJ's sound pretty good for me. I however dont like the hotter 83's - the highs are harsh. Also the JJ's only seem to last a month or 2 for me. Im always having microphonic problems with them. I actually like the Sovtek 12AX7LPS the best. Very smooth and very tuff.

about a year ago i was at a shop getting my fx loop repaired, i was talking about tubes with the guy. He put in a set of NOS RCA 7025's (just so i could hear the diff - they were $150 A TUBE!) The sound took me to the ground. best ive ever heard. Just a little out of my price range LOL!

I running SED 6L6's w/ the Sovtek LPS's right now.

I left there only one JJ in V1.In V2 - V4 I put back Mesa 7025`s.It sounds balanced.
=C= rules!!!

Back