Your pickup preference with Rectifiers?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Well....the 2 channel recto is SLAYING. Love the thing to death....much thicker tone than my old 3 channel, and no fizz. :twisted:

Just out of curiosity....what kind of pickups do you guys gravitate towards with your rectifiers? As of my testing, it seems like it likes ceramic pickups a little bit move than alnico. But maybe I'm going crazy.

Just wanted to see what others have to say.

Thanks!

Eric

I don't think you can really go wrong with the EMGs paired with the Rectifiers. I have them in my 7 string and they're pretty kickass, though I think I do overall prefer passive.

I played a little with a JB, and that was pretty good, but what has so far blown me away is the DiMarzio X2N. That thing is UNBELIEVABLE!

Alot of people think im crazy, but, I LOVE PAF style humbuckers for hard rock and metal. Medium output pickups.

I'm an EMG fan, and that goes double for Rectos. The upper mid bite and lack of low end in the pickups matches up perfect with the voicing of the Recto.

All depends on what kind of tone I'm going for at that moment. If I had to pick just one, it would be a good medium to high output passive pickup with rich harmonics and mids, then run that through whatever level of overdrive and/or clean boost I needed to get the high-gain madness going.

If you're not limiting it to no effects, just guitar and amp, then I'd say get whatever frequency response suits your ears tone-wise, without worrying about super high output necessarily. There are so many good clean boosts and EQ's out there today that the rest can be tweaked to satisfaction. It's not like the old days where if you wanted sustain, you had to go low-gain alnico PAF's or soapbars, and if you wanted high output, you had to go with actives. Nowadays, you don't have to choose, you can mix and match to your heart's content.

I like EMG`s they make any amp more brutal but with Recto I would stay with passive pup`s.They make it nice organic,dynamic feeling without needing to use any OD/Dist in front of your amp.

I just put emgs in my epiphone les paul and wow what a difference i finally think i got my sound. LOL Umm I like the sound before but it was muddy at more high gain situations. I have used a Seymour duncan full shred before and love that and i like the H-4 Emg in my crappy tele. Its all up to you and the sound your after just about every modern metal band uses emg loaded guitars live. Lamb of god even just switched to emgs live if i am not mistaken.

but for me i love the emgs got the zakk wylde set and wouldnt go back to passives now.

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Hey guys!

Well....the 2 channel recto is SLAYING. Love the thing to death....much thicker tone than my old 3 channel, and no fizz. :twisted:

Just out of curiosity....what kind of pickups do you guys gravitate towards with your rectifiers? As of my testing, it seems like it likes ceramic pickups a little bit move than alnico. But maybe I'm going crazy.

Just wanted to see what others have to say.

Thanks!

Eric

The Aldrich's aren't doing it for you anymore?

Well so far i've used Dimarzio, SD, Bill Lawrence and EMG (with 9v and 18v configuratons) and I gotta say that 18v EMG's kick the crap out of everything I've used since 1991 when I started playing. With 18v you get aot more girth and warmth out of an 81 and the response and articulation is better. Dynamics are better represented too.

I thought I would like EMG's but to be honest cannot stand them with my DR.

I have purchased many, I mean MANY boutique winds and they are superior to most of the stock stuff.

If you are looking for a nice metal pickup with some warmth and bite, look at the Gibson 57 classic. Yeah thats right the 57 classics are pretty nice with a custom through my recto's.

If you guys want me to elaborate on the Wolfetone, WCR, WB and Duncans I can. I have WCR is some of my metal machines at the moment.

EMG 81's, been using them for 14 yrs. I like them with the Recto becasaue they're a bright pickup with lots of cut. so couple that with a low tuning and a Recto and it's the she-it IMO. +1 on the 18v too, the headroom it gives is great.

What I've found missing about both the Recto and active pickups are the mids. Putting them together and you get a pickup with weak mids and an amp with weak mids. That's great if you want ultra-heavy chug and glassy highs, and the volt jolt of 18v can be a thing of beauty I'll admit, but since I can get every bit as much extra juice (and lots more) as an active pickup provides by using a good clean boost, I'd rather have a passive pickup that's voiced for the guitar and still has plenty of mid range. Then if I need to jack it up for gain, I just simply add the boost. That way I get tone and power, not just one or the other.

I have got several guitars with passive/active pup`s.Mesa sounds much better with passive pup`s to me Gibson 500T (I thing every Gibson pup`s are great) makes the best sustain to my ears.Duncans SH-5 Custom is great as well.I`ve got EMG`s 81 85 both in bridge pos. they play nice with Hector but with Mesa they do need eq pedal to make it more organic.But all it`s depend what kind of music you play.

I don't know, I've owned EMG in the past and they are good pickups. But I can't get over how sterile they sound. They sound like EMGs no matter what guitar you put them in. You get nothing of the natural tone from the woods on the guitar coming through and to me that's where all the life is.

Right now I've settled on a Dimarzio Steve's Special in the bridge and a Bartolini PBF in the neck. I'm using that set up in a LTD EC-1000 (which used to have 81 and 85 in it) for the most part directly into the amp. I have a two channel Dual Rectifier that would be a paper weight without my OCD as well. I've tried countless pickups and have owned almost all the major lines out there. For the longest time after EMG I stayed with original Bill Lawrences wired and made by the man himself and loved them. But after trying about 3 dozen or so pickups I settled back on the Steve's Special. It just had a little more of that certain sound I was looking for.

XevKai said:
They sound like EMGs no matter what guitar you put them in. You get nothing of the natural tone from the woods on the guitar coming through and to me that's where all the life is.

I would disagree there. Sure, they sound like EMG's regardless, just like Duncans will sound like Duncans. But they don't sound the same in every guitar. We had 3 EMG 81 loaded Les Paul's we were messing around with for sounds before, and all three sounded drastically different.

Silverwulf said:
XevKai said:
They sound like EMGs no matter what guitar you put them in. You get nothing of the natural tone from the woods on the guitar coming through and to me that's where all the life is.

I would disagree there. Sure, they sound like EMG's regardless, just like Duncans will sound like Duncans. But they don't sound the same in every guitar. We had 3 EMG 81 loaded Les Paul's we were messing around with for sounds before, and all three sounded drastically different.

I second that, I have 4 axes with 81/85's and 1 with 81/89. and even with all 81's in the bridge, i get distinct tones form each.

All pickups, regardless of type, will translate some of the resonant characteristics of the guitar, its woods and the metals used in its components. Perhaps what XevKai objects to is the overall flat response of actives, no matter what guitar they're placed in. It's not an exact comparison, but guitarists have generally preferred the tone of passive pickups over actives for the same reason they prefer guitar speakers and cabinets over high-fidelity flat-response PA speakers and cabs. They prefer the specific frequency profile that those speakers provide, with the best ones emphasizing a very flattering blend of midrange, a clear but not glassy high-end response, and an emphasis on thump rather than mud in the bass.

Active pickups provide a much flatter response curve than their passive counterparts, meaning all frequency ranges are represented more equally. They then transform this signal with batteries to provide a significantly higher output. In the days when actives first entered the market, this extra output drove medium-to-high-gain amps into very desireable levels of gain, making an amp sound 'hotter' than it would with passive pickups. However, even from the beginning, many guitarists started to notice that, for all their additional gain (which was very popular among the metal crowd), they sacrificed somewhat in tone. Too much for many to make the switch.

Active pickups developed a reputation early on for sounding "sterile" because they didn't filter out certain frequencies from a guitar's signal the way passives do. Glassy, even irritatingly strident, higher frequencies were part of the gain/tone trade-off, as were mids that were flat, lacked character, and most importantly, didn't "sing" for lead playing. Bass response was actually not such a big objection when actives first came out because the overall increase in bass response didn't create as many problems in the pre-Recto days when amps didn't have a huge built-in bass response themselves. Sustain was actually pretty good, given that early active pickups used fairly weak magnets to generate signal. Today, some actives have combined active circuitry with stronger magnets and, while power has increased, sustain has nearly disappeared in these units.

Due to their flatter tone response, active pickups generally require some rather precise EQ'ing to achieve what most guitarists would find a desireable tone, especially for music outside of only the very heaviest of metal. In that respect, they can be likened to an uncarved slab of marble. Beautiful tone can be coaxed from them, but often you must first sculpt out the tone response curve you want with a good graphic EQ. You must also take into account the type of amp you'll be playing through and its general tone response, as well as the speaker cab you'll be using, and adjust accordingly. You may find that they require more significant cuts and boosts with the sliders than you are used to using when EQ'ing passive pickups.

For those with the patience and/or curiosity to do the extra tweaking necessary, active pickups can yield both good tone and powerful output. However, as I have mentioned previously, I personally would rather not have to do it that way. Instead, I prefer to choose a passive pickup whose tone I already like and which fits the wood of the guitar I'll be using it in. If I need more raw power to the signal, I'd rather be able to switch in or out a good clean boost to that already good tone. Any EQ'ing necessary after that is usually minimal and subtle. A passive pickup run through a modern boutique clean boost provides a much stronger signal than even the hottest active pickups do on their own, so power is not an issue.

With today's high-gain amps such as exemplified by the Mesa Rectifiers, a really hot signal from the guitar isn't all that necessary anymore. This is a large part of the reason why high-quality overdrives have started to take some of the market share away from clean boosts and active pickups. Today's boutique overdrives usually provide much higher clean boost than their predecessors, but they also add in a certain degree of distortion and harmonic content that give a guitar/boutique overdrive/high-gain amp rig much greater harmonic bloom and density of signal than is possible with either active pickups or clean boosts, no matter how powerful they are.

Ultimately, it's a subjective matter of preference. There is no answering the question of which is best. Truly good useable tones can be achieved either way, you just have to know what you're doing. The most demanding tone freaks are usually the most intense tweakers, so that shouldn't scare anybody off. Just find the sound you like best and work with it to get it to sound exactly the way your ears like it and you'll be happy, whichever pickups you choose.

TheMagicEight said:
I don't think you can really go wrong with the EMGs paired with the Rectifiers. I have them in my 7 string and they're pretty kickass, though I think I do overall prefer passive.

I played a little with a JB, and that was pretty good, but what has so far blown me away is the DiMarzio X2N. That thing is UNBELIEVABLE!

If I ever change pickups again Im going to the Dimarzzio x2-n, they really do sound awesome.

Fixxer6671 said:
If you are looking for a nice metal pickup with some warmth and bite, look at the Gibson 57 classic. Yeah thats right the 57 classics are pretty nice with a custom through my recto's.
+1

I love my Les Paul through my Recto. It complements the tone so well, and I can actually get a very nice lead tone with them. Surprised the hell out of me!

Back