Gear Monkey still around??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shredd_r69

Reaction score
I purchased dual recto # 0064 from gear monkey, paid him $2400 for a quote "mint dual rectifier pre-500 with new tubes". It turns out that the head box was replaced with a newer one. I had NO IDEA. I feel like I was ripped off by this dude and just want to make sure that the rest of the **** amp is original, minus the tubes, of course. This just seems like the wrong way to do business to me. I've been trying to sell the amp and finally someone told me why it may not be selling, so I looked around and sure enough the head box is different. Granted maybe I should have researched it better, but I figured that the members of this board looked out for one another. I am calling on gear monkey to make this right, at LEAST with an explanation. I tried to email Charlie personally before I did this but got no response so I figured I'd try the board. Maybe one of you stand uppers could point me in the right direction. Thanks and happy holidays!

Haven't seen him around in a LONG time...the only time I actually saw him here was when he was flipping gear. I guess he made his money and moved on to somewhere else.

Best of luck man!

Do you have any pics of the amp? In the mean time, we can atleast help you with the identity of the amp.

Eric

Honestly it is such a small minor thing and if you did your research well enough you should have noticed it, that is one of the biggest signs everyone says to look for when buying an older one, the small logo.

It is not the headshell that makes the pre-500 worth alot, it is the actuall amp, the fact that the headshell has been replaced should not change the value of the amp at all, unless it went from having a black face to a silver face. You have to understand when the rectifiers first came out dealers where changing the headshells anyway per customer request, that is why you see some silver on chrome, some black on black out there in the world.

I think what you are suffering from right now is buyers remorse, but there is not much you can do. More then likley either he did not know, or just figured you would notice, or as most people will say, not a big deal as the headshell has nothing to do with the tone of the amp. Trust me a pre-500 with a mint headshell that is newer headshell will sell better then a pre-500 with a beat up headshell.

If you are trying to get the $2400 back you paid for the amp, well that is probaly the reason it is not selling, right now it is a buyers market since the economy is such crap. Back when you bought that amp it was the going rate, now the going rate for Pre-500's are between $1900 and $2200 and that is when selling on ebay, if you are selling outside of ebay you will be lucky if you do sell it. I feel your pain too, a year ago i was offered $3000 for my R0005, now i would get probally about $2200 for it, so take my advice, unless you are desperate for money, hold off on selling the amp till the economy turns and it becomes a sellers market again.

One final thing, technically if i was gear monkey and you came at me, i would tell you to go away, you say it in your post, he advertised a Mint Dual Rectifier pre-500 with new tubes, sounds like he never stated it was all original! Once again unless someone is buying it as a collectors piece to showcase, a headshell should not make a difference in the price.

shredd_r69 said:
I purchased dual recto # 0064 from gear monkey, paid him $2400 for a quote "mint dual rectifier pre-500 with new tubes". It turns out that the head box was replaced with a newer one. I had NO IDEA. I feel like I was ripped off by this dude and just want to make sure that the rest of the **** amp is original, minus the tubes, of course. This just seems like the wrong way to do business to me. I've been trying to sell the amp and finally someone told me why it may not be selling, so I looked around and sure enough the head box is different. Granted maybe I should have researched it better, but I figured that the members of this board looked out for one another. I am calling on gear monkey to make this right, at LEAST with an explanation. I tried to email Charlie personally before I did this but got no response so I figured I'd try the board. Maybe one of you stand uppers could point me in the right direction. Thanks and happy holidays!

If there was a mythical nail somewhere in outer space, eluding Home Depot, Siggy managed to take a hammer and smash it.

Yep, well said here. I'm going to assume you saw pics of the amp before you bought it, so you knew what kind of headshell was on it. Buyers have to take some responsibility too and ask all questions that are important to them prior to purchasing. It doesn't sound like Gear Monkey was misleading you at all, his brief description sounds accurate to me since you never disputed the condition of the amp. It's not as if you asked if it was all original and he told you "yes."

And again, siggy is on the mark. I can all but gauruntee that your inability to sell the amp has next to nothing to do with the headshell. It's the current market and the price.

Yeah, I'm not denying responsibility, it just seems that a seller should have some sort of ethics, or maybe I feel that way because I have ethics. Oh well, buyers remorse, maybe. The head is bad ***. The chassis is legit and I'm asking $1800. If it doesn't sell, then I'll wait til' summer or after taxes. Thanks all!

I wouldnt consider that an ethic thing, it is really not a big deal at all to buyers if the head shell is original, as long as you got black to replace black or silver to replace siler etc....

Someone on this board is looking for one and that is a **** good price... Send me some pictures or post some I am might be interested in it.

shredd_r69 said:
Yeah, I'm not denying responsibility, it just seems that a seller should have some sort of ethics, or maybe I feel that way because I have ethics. Oh well, buyers remorse, maybe. The head is bad ***. The chassis is legit and I'm asking $1800. If it doesn't sell, then I'll wait til' summer or after taxes. Thanks all!

I have to admit, that is a nice head, he must have posted this before he sold it to you.
http://gear-monkey.com/forum/vintage-gear/march-of-1992-pre500-mesa-dual-recto-64th-made-t90.0.html

This guy wants one:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30897

price is good IMO. Anyone would be dumb not to take 1800

Latest posts

Back