Presence control off?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I've heard a lot about how fizzy the Rectifiers are, and I just wanted to ask, where do you guys have your presence set? It may be NOS tubes responsible for my tone, but what I'm doing now where I've got none of that fizzy crap is turning the presence to about 8:00 - 8:30. Mids are 11, bass and treble at 12. I get a really clear, smooth tone with nothing else affecting my tone.

Anyway, just wondering what other people have found.

Thanks!

I don't use the presence much on any mesa amp i've owned. can make the amp sound thin. low setting or off is how I use it. just make sure to eq with yours ears and not your eyes!

I have no fizz with my Single Rec with std tubes. I do keep the presence low, and the output high !! :mrgreen:

took me a while but i've learned over time the less presence the better in a Recto for the heavy stuff. for the clean stuff though the presence is a must or else it sounds pretty lifeless

jdurso said:
took me a while but i've learned over time the less presence the better in a Recto for the heavy stuff. for the clean stuff though the presence is a must or else it sounds pretty lifeless

+1

Mine's off in Ch2 and i use a touch on CH3, which may change depending on the environment.

jdurso said:
Absolutely. What I learned recently is on the clean channel, the presence control is a treble cut. That said, I almost always have the clean presence cranked and I get an excellent clean tone.

It all depends on the channel for me. I have a Triple Rec, so on Channel 2, I keep the presence control around 10 to noon. On Channel 3, since the presence is so improperly attenuated, I keep the presence down around 8 to 9:00. Remember, the presence on Channel 3 begins about where the presence on Channel 2 ends.

Glassy, irritating and strident levels of presence are not only unpleasant, they take the heaviness right out of even a bass-heavy guitar sound. Nasty stuff.

Yeah, I already had a lot of fun playing with the volume, mid and the presence very high with low treble, bass and very low gain for a dry, edgy sound.

Back