New Recto 4x12!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

This is what I've been looking for! I've been trying for so long to make it work with my old Basson 4x12 and the bottom line is this: the Eminence Legends just don't sound good for what I want to do. I've tried everything from boost pedals to EQs to different guitars and pickups, and after 5 minutes of playing through the Rectifier 4x12, I knew I had found what I've been wanting!

If I can give anyone a word of advice from what I've learned, it would be this: don't underestimate the importance of having the right speakers in the right cabinet. It can take an amp that you are ready to sell, and make it your favorite!

TheMagicEight said:
This is what I've been looking for! I've been trying for so long to make it work with my old Basson 4x12 and the bottom line is this: the Eminence Legends just don't sound good for what I want to do. I've tried everything from boost pedals to EQs to different guitars and pickups, and after 5 minutes of playing through the Rectifier 4x12, I knew I had found what I've been wanting!

If I can give anyone a word of advice from what I've learned, it would be this: don't underestimate the importance of having the right speakers in the right cabinet. It can take an amp that you are ready to sell, and make it your favorite!

you know what sounds even better? a basson cab with eminence legends and a mesa cab with v30s. I find the eminences to bring clarity to the mix.. thats just me though.

jdurso said:
you know what sounds even better? a basson cab with eminence legends and a mesa cab with v30s. I find the eminences to bring clarity to the mix.. thats just me though.
Actually, I'm pretty happy already. I'm using JJ E34Ls with 2 pulled for 100 watts, and I have to say I can't imagine it sounding better than it already does; just different. The other thing is that I pulled the Legends from the Basson cab, and plan on putting G12K-100s in to mix with the V30s in the Mesa. The actual construction of the Basson is excellent, and I think with the speaker swap to something more of my taste, I'll be able to get an unbelievable sound out of that too, for more of a scooped tone.

The interesting thing is this: 4 V30s costs $580. 4 Eminence Legends costs $260. The Mesa new is $950, and the Basson $640. If you subtract the speaker price from both, the Basson costs $10 more than the Mesa. I don't know if there's more to it; I'm sure they both don't pay retail prices since they must buy so many, but still. I think the construction of the Basson is at least as good as the Mesa.

both cabs have solid construction. The only deterant for a lot of the guys is that the basson is mdf not birch which is why the cab itself doesnt have a lot of coloration. Swapping speakers in and out of the Basson has much more drastic results than the Mesa IME, so if you were to throw v30s in the Basson it would take on more of the v30 tone than throwing the legends in teh Mesa cab. The mix of my two cabs is golden for me... the mesa provides the warmth and crunch while the basson provides a lot of clarity and balance. I still wish i could find one 4x12 cab that can do all of that for me... closest has been the VHT Deliverance cab. Maybe Santa will see my good deeds this year as a reason to bring me one :twisted:

Latest posts

Back