Loop or no loop?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oops forgot, bypassing the loop at the moment.

I ran a poll awhile back about this very subject.

Gonna search and see how I was running back then.

laters,

R_ADKINS80 said:
Definately loop bypassed. It really castrates the amp to leave it on.

Yep I used the terms suffocate or choke. I always wondered if maybe I'm doing something wrong. Or if something
is up with my loop. It just sounds so drastically different when it's engaged. Just glad there is the option to bypass the whole circuit.

Yeah, you gotta think...with the loop on you have 4 extra pots plus the extra circuit components in the chain, and every last little piece wants a chunk of the signal going through it. It definately sounds alot more organic and alive without the loop in there chopping the signal up.

I like the loop on, with a cable jumpered from send to return.

Bypass for me. I can get by without the FX Loop. The only thing I'd want in the effects loop would be a little delay for leads, but I like the tone better on bypass, and most venues have some natural 'verb to them anyway. It's not worth dealing with the extra cords and setup and for a little delay live.

daveyboy said:
3124+ said:

Interesting. I'll have to try that.

I like the loop on too. But haven't thought about using a a cable jumpered for the S/R . What does that do to the sound?

cradlefish said:
daveyboy said:
3124+ said:

Interesting. I'll have to try that.

I like the loop on too. But haven't thought about using a a cable jumpered for the S/R . What does that do to the sound?

Jumping the s/r feeds signal to both sides of the mix pot. This drives the return 12AX7 stage a bit more, resulting in a slight boost.

I like the loop on too. But haven't thought about using a a cable jumpered for the S/R . What does that do to the sound?[/quote]

Jumping the s/r feeds signal to both sides of the mix pot. This drives the return 12AX7 stage a bit more, resulting in a slight boost.[/quote]

heyyy!!!! That's cool! Thanks! Will have to try that soon!

It depends on my mood and on the playing context. If I'm recording, I will never use the loop for anything. I may still, depending on the song, use an overdrive or similar up front, but nothing in the loop. This is for three reasons: 1) Ideally, I don't really want to process the preamp sound because it's not the complete guitar sound. I'd much rather include both the power amp and the speaker cabinet by miking the cab. 2) The quality of the buffers in the loop of professional studio equipment is usually much higher, resulting in more fidelity and less noise in the signal. 3) I can record the signal dry, even while hearing the processed signal, which lets me mix and match various effects and levels later if I choose.

If I'm playing live, it depends on the song. Generally, I like at least a little EQ to allow me to tailor my sound to different songs. But I've always liked being able to really duplicate the guitar sounds that people know and love, so if it's more than just a garage gig, I like to have my full arsenal available.

I tried putting a sonic maximizer through the effects loop and it sounded terible. It totally took over the amp. Put in front it sounded a lot better, more suttle.

cradlefish said:

Jumping the s/r feeds signal to both sides of the mix pot. This drives the return 12AX7 stage a bit more, resulting in a slight boost.

heyyy!!!! That's cool! Thanks! Will have to try that soon!
I tried this tonight and I'm not totally sure I got a lot of benefit from it.

Does it matter if you have a serial or parallel effects loop? (please excuse this question if it's completely stupid) My 2ch has a parallel effects loop...

Latest posts

Back