The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:51 am 
Dual Recto

You would have to custom order a head shell from Mesa as the standard head shell will not work due to the combo being inverted and everything will be upside down in the printing and once you get used to the combo. I get confused when playing the RA100 combo and then the head as they are mirror images of one another. What is even worse, the manual was biased to the combo (for the sample settings that is). that is typical with most tube amps that offer both head and combo format (except for Mark, Lonestar and Express series).

At least it has wheels to move it around. the head by itself tends to get heavier the longer distance you have to carry it. Sure use a load cart with air filled tires would be the best bet for any gigging musician if you are your own roadie. At least it is a package deal and one item to move vs leaving half your gear in a vehicle while you set up. Be thankful you are not a drummer........ I had moved my 8 shell drum set in the studio and it took a while to set it up in a different location so that I was happy with it. I went the heavy duty route with the hardware. Huge and cumbersome set with a single kick drum.

Odd that my bass gear is much lighter despite its size (thank you neodymium drivers and solid state amp). Was considering a Mesa rig but a bit out of budget at the moment.

If I were to gig, it would be with the guitar and not the other instruments, most likely would be the TC-50 or the JP-2C and the Vertical 212. the combos and half stacks would stay home unless I need the roadster then it would be the half stack (ouch) and barely any room left for my guitar(s). I think the Roadster combo weighs as much as the OS Recto 412 cab (both are in the 110 lb category, may need a more accurate weight on the cab as it has EVs in it ).

Mk III (blue stripe), Mark IVb-WB

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:54 pm 
Mark II

bandit2013 wrote:
You would have to custom order a head shell from Mesa as the standard head shell will not work due to the combo being inverted and everything will be upside down in the printing and once you get used to the combo. I get confused when playing the RA100 combo and then the head as they are mirror images of one another. What is even worse, the manual was biased to the combo (for the sample settings that is). that is typical with most tube amps that offer both head and combo format (except for Mark, Lonestar and Express series).

At least it has wheels to move it around. the head by itself tends to get heavier the longer distance you have to carry it. Sure use a load cart with air filled tires would be the best bet for any gigging musician if you are your own roadie. At least it is a package deal and one item to move vs leaving half your gear in a vehicle while you set up. Be thankful you are not a drummer........ I had moved my 8 shell drum set in the studio and it took a while to set it up in a different location so that I was happy with it. I went the heavy duty route with the hardware. Huge and cumbersome set with a single kick drum.

Odd that my bass gear is much lighter despite its size (thank you neodymium drivers and solid state amp). Was considering a Mesa rig but a bit out of budget at the moment.

If I were to gig, it would be with the guitar and not the other instruments, most likely would be the TC-50 or the JP-2C and the Vertical 212. the combos and half stacks would stay home unless I need the roadster then it would be the half stack (ouch) and barely any room left for my guitar(s). I think the Roadster combo weighs as much as the OS Recto 412 cab (both are in the 110 lb category, may need a more accurate weight on the cab as it has EVs in it ).

After reading this info above, it might be better just to leave it like it is.

Make the best use of it in it's combo form and utilize the 4 different channels in my home studio.

The 4 channels offer the most variety of any of the amps I own.

Just need to be thankful I have an amp like this.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:51 pm 
Mark II

I would also say leave it as is, or sell it as is, and get something more travel friendly. Even as just a head that thing is a beast. The head weighs more than a lot of combos.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:43 pm 
Mark II

tbonesullivan wrote:
I would also say leave it as is, or sell it as is, and get something more travel friendly. Even as just a head that thing is a beast. The head weighs more than a lot of combos.

Sometimes weight can be the reason an amp stays or goes, no matter how good it sounds.

I'm going to have to see if I REALLY need to hold on to this beast.

I probably could sell it and get a nice guitar with the proceeds.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:24 pm 
Mark IV

Wow :shock:

http://www.exactzer0.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/thejay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:34 am 
Bottle Rocket

WOW :shock: That is a deal for the ages! Congrats man! I have the head and paid a grand more than you did and was happy with that.

I love this amp and I think you will too.

Have fun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:18 pm 
Mark II

caustic69 wrote:
WOW :shock: That is a deal for the ages! Congrats man! I have the head and paid a grand more than you did and was happy with that.

I love this amp and I think you will too.

Have fun

Thanks Caustic69.

I've really been working with all the channels to try out of a lot of different tones.

It really is an amazing amp with so many tonal options.

It might never leave my home studio, but it will get used a lot for home recordings.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:02 am 
Mark II

It's a great amp, whether it travels or not. It'll be quite useful in any recording situation.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:01 pm 
Mark III

At the price you paid, I wouldn't consider selling it unless I got WAY more for it and could maybe fund a head. I'd keep it and leave it at home to play. That's the problem. The heads are bringing more than the combos because people seem to be souring on lugging around huge heavy combos. There is one local Mesa dealer near me that just got Mesa a year ago when another local chain went out of business. They moved a bunch of stock here from a store in another town. They have 2 Roadster or Road King 2x12 combos and 2 Electra Dyne combos. All of them are 3-5 years old manufacture dates, but new, never sold. The guy I deal with there said that he could have sold every one of them 5 times if they were heads. He said someone comes in, plays one, loves it, wants it, then tries to move it and says they want a head/cab instead.

He also told me one guy literally said "I'll take it." As he went to the front of the store and started to get information and check the guy out, they guy gave him a credit card and it was already run through and everything. Then the guy walked back and went to get the amp and bring it up to the counter. He said the guy got the funniest look on his face. He said "I'm not going to haul this around to play gigs with. I have a head for that. But if it's so heavy I can't even get it home, I can't buy it."

I know in the old days guys hauled full stacks around. But no one piece was as heavy as some of these combos. And, those guys are OLD now! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:32 pm 
Mark II

Dreamtheaterrules wrote:
At the price you paid, I wouldn't consider selling it unless I got WAY more for it and could maybe fund a head. I'd keep it and leave it at home to play. That's the problem. The heads are bringing more than the combos because people seem to be souring on lugging around huge heavy combos. There is one local Mesa dealer near me that just got Mesa a year ago when another local chain went out of business. They moved a bunch of stock here from a store in another town. They have 2 Roadster or Road King 2x12 combos and 2 Electra Dyne combos. All of them are 3-5 years old manufacture dates, but new, never sold. The guy I deal with there said that he could have sold every one of them 5 times if they were heads. He said someone comes in, plays one, loves it, wants it, then tries to move it and says they want a head/cab instead.

He also told me one guy literally said "I'll take it." As he went to the front of the store and started to get information and check the guy out, they guy gave him a credit card and it was already run through and everything. Then the guy walked back and went to get the amp and bring it up to the counter. He said the guy got the funniest look on his face. He said "I'm not going to haul this around to play gigs with. I have a head for that. But if it's so heavy I can't even get it home, I can't buy it."

I know in the old days guys hauled full stacks around. But no one piece was as heavy as some of these combos. And, those guys are OLD now! :lol:

I hear what you're saying DTR's.

I've already decided to leave it in the home studio and let it be the great sounding amp that covers a lot of tonal ground.

It'll be my ALL-STAR go to amp.

I realized there's no sense in spending money in getting head shell.

I'm just going to accept it for what it is.