Recording High Gain Guitars: How Much Gain Do You Need

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeltFedRiffs

Reaction score
So I ask the question : How Much Gain Do You Need? The results may surprise you- or maybe not. Hopefully some of you will find this useful. Let me know what you think!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4ln1PEfFUg

Oddly, gain full up sounded better than I expected. Suited the sludgy nature of the riff.

That said, in this demo I think I like Brit mode the best, and I personally dislike Brit mode.

Absolutely- and to each their own and yes certain styles can benefit from different gain stages. I was honestly kind of blown away with how the Brit Mode sounded- I think if I put a Maxon in front of that - that it would be pretty killer for some re-vamped old school metallica or trivium kinda stuff
Thanks for checking it out !

I've always been a gain freak.
Lately I've been trying to use less and less gain for recording. It's good and bad. It can get tighter, but lose some of the nuances associated.

When I play love I max gain the hell out of things.... Cuz that's what I like.

I am also a gain lover! However, when I am recording and hard panning both amps, I tend to reduce the gain and make each amp sound more different then the other. It tends to really fill up the mix in that area and the gain from both amps spreads out more. Hard to explain until you listen closely in a mix. Lots of pro's use a lot less gain when recording that what we think we hear.

Back