preamp benefits?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barfly

Reaction score
Hi all,

I like the way vocals sound when I do my home made recordings. they're *good.* I've been wondering if a vocal preamp might add anything?
I am not sure what they do. I've read some add color, some are transparent. That description kind of means nothing to me. :)

Can you guys chime in and tell me if they are worth the cheddar? What do they do, add, take away, are great, suck, overrated?

I also know they range in price. I am looking between$200 and $800 range. I am just a guy doing recordings for fun
in his living room. I don't want to break the bank. I also don't want to spend if they don't add much.

Thanks...

I like using pre-amps myself. They add a fatness to the signal. If you a/b the sound you're recording, I'm pretty sure you'll agree that it sounds fuller using a pre-amp. Definitely beneficial.

Thanks for the reply. I'm probably going to pull the trigger on something in the next few months. I have a few purchases before then but am looking at the Grace M101 Mic preamp. Seems to get a lot of great reviews.

Latest posts

Back