Stand-alone multitrack recorder or PC?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit2013

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
After looking though some of the posts here, it appears that many are using the computer as a means for recording and mixing.

Does anybody use a portable stand alone type recorder, like a TASCAM DP-32SD? I would think it would be easier to mix and master on a PC compared to a portable.

I've used both.
I dig the units like the Zoom R8 and R16 because they can be used as a stand alone recorder/mixer and as an audio interface if you choose to use a PC. Kinda best of both worlds.

Well, I jumped on the Tascam DP-32SD. So far I am impressed with the recorder. I have been focusing on creating a song with a Mexican Martin X1 12 string guitar using a fishman Aura DI. I actually like the preamp, however, combining that signal with a SHURE SM57 captures the content that is missing. I have experimented with mic location on my 412 oversized Recto cab to capture the essence of the Roadster. Seems to sound better thought the EV speakers than it does though V30. I may run both cabs just to hear the difference when recorded. I have not tried to capture the Mark V or RA100 yet. So far that all seems straight forward. My issue is getting a good tone from the Bass. I have tried the XLR output from the bass amp and with a mic but still seems to be lacking something.

I am new to this so it will take some practice. The Tascam has many attributes and I am not sure what all of it does yet. If I had a DAW to mix and master on a PC vrs the small display on the Tascam recorder it may be easier to mix, shift, cut, move, specific track as well as tailor the final mix to an end result. Also since I lack a drum set at the moment, some if not all DAW have a plug in for simulated drums and other instruments. My next goal is a Roland TD-15KV drum set. At least my studio will be more complete with that.

For the longest time, back in my band days, I have always wanted a multi-track recorder. They were too far out of reach price wise. Had to compromise on a two channel recorder that had a L, R and stereo blend input that we tied into a small mixer and as many mic's we could get to mic the drums, guitar and bass. And there was no way to modify, edit, or mix down. At least it was something to listen to and reflect on making changes and or capture something creative that just happened as a one time event. Now that I am on my own, it is more challenging but yet achievable to record a guitar track and then add bass and other riffs. I am determined to learn how to play the drums so that will be another possibility. If I had any real talent I would post "I just made this, what do you think" thread.

I have listen to many recordings, I am overwhelmed with the talent revealed in them. I may not be that good but the bottom line is I am having fun doing what it is I am doing so far.

I have a Tascam 2488 Neo (earlier version of the DP32) that I use for tracking. I know what you're saying about the small display on the recorder. I bounce my stuff down to my PC for mixing/editing in Reaper. Jogging through the menus on the Tascam gets pretty tedious. Reaper is very affordable ($60) and very powerful. The free trial version is fully functional and the have a great forum: http://forum.cockos.com

Someday I may move to doing everything in the DAW, but I really like the Tascam and having faders at my fingertips.

a stand alone cannot beat the power of a good DAW setup,
ESPECIALLY if you are working with others on collabs,
or mixing and producing other peoples' stuff.

the speed and agility of being able to set up and use multiple tracks,
copy, paste, edit,
bring in unlimited plug ins,
set up and use multiple busses,
multiple send and returns,

i could just go on and on.

I've recorded about 30 originals using only a Fostex MR16 and pedals, and have never used a computer. I run my instruments and vocals through effects pedals when recording. Quick and easy to use with enough options to make very good car-stereo recordings. It's not perfect and there's room for "improvement", but it also has a unique sort of analog signature, kinda like a really good quality amateur garage band recording. Having recently begun editing our gig videos, I'll probably begin experimenting with mastering new recordings on computer, just for the sake of something new. Bottom line: I've been very pleased with the recorder-only recordings. Sound quality is fine, and it's so bloody easy! YMMV

Gonzo: I've long-admired your recordings, both content and quality. My recordings don't have your studio "polish", but they do have a sort of rawness that projects my songwriting "voice" better than a high-quality digital set up. My frame of reference is recording on reel-to-reel and then four track cassette in the 1970's, so you can see where I'm coming from.

Tascam 388 FTW!

I wish

I record using computer. My bassist uses a Tascam Portastudio 4 track and gets some awesome sounding recordings off it.. At least compared to 4 track recordings from the 80's I remember.

We will be tracking our album's guitar and vocal tracks using his 4 track then dump them to computer for mixing. Nothing beats good tape compression on recordings. I have yet to find any type of plugin that comes close to tracking to tape. Even tracking to Normal bias cassette sounds killer when barely hitting red. Try that on a computer and it sounds like crunchy crap.

It is not the end of the world since I opted for the Tascam recorder. I can pull the files from the memory card and use a DAW if I had one to perform a mixdown. That would come in handy to modify tracks I would assume. If it is similar to video editing but on a single or multiple track that would make mixing much easier I would assume.

bandit2013 said:
It is not the end of the world since I opted for the Tascam recorder. I can pull the files from the memory card and use a DAW if I had one to perform a mixdown. That would come in handy to modify tracks I would assume. If it is similar to video editing but on a single or multiple track that would make mixing much easier I would assume.

Reaper would be perfect for that, and it is not a resource hog at all like so many other DAW programs, so Reaper will run really well on most machines.

Latest posts

Back