Speaker Connection

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yardbird mac

Reaction score
I have a set of M-Audio AV40 desktop monitors that I use with my iMac (GarageBand and LOGIC Pro 9). What is the best connection method for this setup? Should I use the TRS or the RCA inputs at the speakers? Regarding either configuration what are the best quality cables/connectors? Should the individual connectors (either RCA or TRS) be mono or stereo?

Thanks!

yardbird mac said:
I have a set of M-Audio AV40 desktop monitors that I use with my iMac (GarageBand and LOGIC Pro 9). What is the best connection method for this setup? Should I use the TRS or the RCA inputs at the speakers? Regarding either configuration what are the best quality cables/connectors? Should the individual connectors (either RCA or TRS) be mono or stereo?

Thanks!
Either one, makes absolutely no difference. TRS or RCA...there is no improvement using either one.
TRS IS stereo, there is no choice.
Cables: Any cable from radio shack, e bay, Amazon, etc...expensive high end cables are a waste of money, and DO NOT improve the audio quality. (the audio quality is from the source of audio, not the cables)
Even though "certain" manufacturers would like to convince you otherwise, it's a load of hot air. But even in a cable 20 feet long, there is very little loss as far as audio is concerned. Start getting over 50 feet and 100, 200 feet, audio losses are going to be a problem for sure.
I bought nice cables at a garage sale...and I frequent Amazon for cables.
GOLD PLATED plugs are better, cause they don't oxidize. However almost any $5 cable already has gold plated plugs. So, that's not an expensive feature.
So, don't wind up paying $50 for a cable when a $5 cable works THE SAME. Especially in shorter distances.

There are certain exceptions to that rule, and a good example is silver/ silver plated copper wire, which has a lower resistance than copper.
Making it useful for longer length audio cables, speaker cables, but over much greater distances for sure.
The cable does not improve the audio quality, it does lessen the losses over longer distances. (the audio quality is from the source, not in the cable)

soundguruman said:
Either one, makes absolutely no difference. TRS or RCA...there is no improvement using either one.
TRS IS stereo, there is no choice.
Cables: Any cable from radio shack, e bay, Amazon, etc...expensive high end cables are a waste of money, and DO NOT improve the audio quality.
Even though "certain" manufacturers would like to convince you otherwise, it's a load of hot air.
I bought nice cables at a garage sale...and I frequent Amazon for cables.
GOLD PLATED plugs are better, cause they don't oxidize. However almost any $5 cable already has gold plated plugs. So, that's not an expensive feature.
So, don't wind up paying $50 for a cable when a $5 cable works THE SAME.

:wink: This +1000

Back