Best Firewire Recording Interface for Mac

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njsurf

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a recording interface for my mac. I want a 8 channel interface for live recordings for band plus my own songs. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Whats your budget? Do you have external mic preamps?

The UA Apollo's each have 4 mics preamps plus Line In's for external gear and I'm 99% positive 8 channels wouldn't be a problem. RME is another company to look into because no matter what you need, they make it.

I went with a MOTU 8pre for my Mac setup. Has always worked really well. I love it.

I had a Presonus FireStudio and after years of major issues and not being able to even USE it :x Guitar Center finally gave me store credit to get a MOTU instead. For some reason I got a lot of "hiss" through it and everything sounded distorted, like I had the gain cranked. I had Guitar Center's extended warranty, so I kept sending it out for repairs... it'd be gone for months, then they'd send it back saying it was fine, and it'd still have the "hiss" and high-gain sound. Not saying that Presonus is a bad option to go with... I believe I just had a lemon... but I was certainly fed up with them at the time and the MOTU was an awesome replacement.

Budget would help. Metric Halo makes some fantastic interfaces specifically for Mac, but the price for a ULN-8 is rather high. I own a ULN-2 as well as a 2882, and they are fantastic. edit: And I just realized this is an old thread. Hopefully the OP will let us know what he went with and what his experience has been.

Back