FRACTAL AUDIO AXE-FX II

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MesaGod666

Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen of The Boogie Board:

I have purchased the Fractal Audio Axe-Fx II. I was very impressed with it's ease of use and its tone quality which was a lightyear away from what the Axe-FX Ultra and Standard were when I owned those boxes years ago. I'll post some tones here this weekend, but I was really impressed with the flexibility of the box as well as the tones. It has every tone imaginable and, since I can duplicate my Mark V tones into this box, I feel that it would be a suitable replacement for my current live rig.

I'll post a review after I have time to play with it more this weekend.

I have no doubt that it can sound like most if not all tube amps. What about the feel though? Seems like processors always lack that fluid feel I can get from a good tube amp.

The last processor I tried - the Line 6 HD PRO - sounded pretty good but was definitely lacking on the feel end of things.

I have a **** hard time telling the difference between a tube amp and the Axe-Fx. However, I can definitely tell when it comes to the clean tones. I have the POD HD Pro and the only tones they got right were the ENGL and Recto tones and even then those tones were super compressed. All of the others are garbage...and I have little hope for the POD HDX line.

As far as my Boogie stuff goes, I'm still keeping my Mark V and Triaxis, but I'll probably liquidate my effects rack.

MesaGod666 said:
I have a **** hard time telling the difference between a tube amp and the Axe-Fx.

On a Youtube video? Sure! Recordings? Absolutely! Real life? :lol:

My true test for this would be if I blindly played my guitar through my amp and a Kemper or AxeFX II. If I got that test wrong then I'd give credit where credit is due. Congrats on the acquisition!

Given To Fly said:
MesaGod666 said:
I have a **** hard time telling the difference between a tube amp and the Axe-Fx.

My true test for this would be if I blindly played my guitar through my amp and a Kemper or AxeFX II. If I got that test wrong then I'd give credit where credit is due. Congrats on the acquisition!

Right on. I'm at that point in my musical career where the less gear I can bring with me the better. I love my Boogie gear (ALL OF IT), but after 100+ shows loading in/out, setup/teardown, blown tubes, shortened sets, and tech costs it's safe to say that I'm over it. I just want one 10 space rack, my Ground Control board, my guitars, and that's it. The AXE-FX II sounds great recorded. I can get some great tones very easily and can replicate that sound live.

MesaGod666 said:
Given To Fly said:
MesaGod666 said:

Right on. I'm at that point in my musical career where the less gear I can bring with me the better. I love my Boogie gear (ALL OF IT), but after 100+ shows loading in/out, setup/teardown, blown tubes, shortened sets, and tech costs it's safe to say that I'm over it. I just want one 10 space rack, my Ground Control board, my guitars, and that's it. The AXE-FX II sounds great recorded. I can get some great tones very easily and can replicate that sound live.

Truthfully, I don't think the AxeFX even needs to sound good in order to be justified, if it makes hauling gear around easier, thats justification enough!

I'm happy owner of Mark V and AXE FX2. And yes, happy with both of them. :mrgreen:

Wow. Old thread man.
Anyway, if a 5lb piece of gear can replicate 250lbs of gear to 80% or better then it's not even a question of which to bring to a gig. In a mix, through a PA, to a bunch of drunks, nobody could possible notice. If tubes and feel are something you're hung up on the buy a Mesa Simul-Satelite or similar for a stage monitor.
I loved the Axe-Fx when I had one but there were simply too many parameters and options for a dude like me who has to fiddle with everything. I need clearly defined boundaries in order to keep from going crazy. :lol:

I'm still rocking the Axe-Fx II. I offloaded my Mark V and Triaxis to buy a new camshaft and supercharger for my Corvette. I've been a lot more preoccupied with my summer driver lately. I have all of my tones cloned and I am still very happy with the unit. I've done one gig with it and it sounded great. No problems. I still have my 2:Ninety and my 4x12 cabs and I still rock through them every once in a while when I want to be loud. While I don't see myself going back to heavy expensive gear, Boogie will always be my tone.

Back