Worth buying Saffire Pro 40

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnkr0cker

Reaction score
I have a Mesa Boogie Roadster with an SM57 and Large Diaphragm EV RE27 N/D with an MBox 2 Pro, and was wondering if getting a Saffire Pro 40 would be a worthy upgrade for recording my Mesa with? My main concern is with my Mbox, even though I record at a 24 bit-depth, it seems like their is no headroom, and a blanket over the sound. Would the Saffire Pro offer a better A/D converter, and be able to capture the epicness that is the Roadster? I go from everywhere from Heavy Rock, to Pop/Punk, to Vintage.

Thanks for any advice!

Mic placement is key. Also you should get a good tube preamp. I'm sure whatever pre the mbox has built in is no good for recording distorted guitar tones.

First, play around with the mic placement, even moving the mic a quarter of an inch can change the sound dramatically. With a 57 type mic i'll place it right against the grill or mesh, just to the left of the center of the speaker and play around from there until it sounds 'right.'

If you can't quite get the sound you want, get a nice preamp. You'll notice how much warmth you can add with a nice pre.

I'm not too familiar with the saffire pro 40. The preamps included with it are not going to be that much better than the mbox. I have a profire 2626 and never use the pre's that come with it. If you have a need to record more instruments simultaneously then definitely get the saffire. If not, then use your money to get a preamp.

Good luck

The Saffire Pro 40 is a solid interface. I bought one a little bit ago.

What I found that bugs is that when I have it running out the monitor outputs to my studio speakers even with a channel muted in cubase I can still hear the guitar when mic'ed up.
I am sure this is user error somewhere but focusrite pre amps are not all that bad. But for the money check out the Focusrite ISA one pre-amp. Great preamp for the cash.

http://us.focusrite.com/mic-pres/isa-one

Back